rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Almost done with school,what now?

Almost done with school,what now?

^^Suits, first of all congratulations on the business success.

However, your gap years were not the typical gap years. You state it yourself:
Quote: (12-23-2015 08:41 PM)Suits Wrote:  

I took a gap year off after high school, went to Japan for three months and then spent nine months working a job that paid slightly better than minimum wage to save for university.

The year was so beneficial that I ended up pausing my university education three times to take another year off. While some folks even here on the forum have derided my decision to drag out my university education over 8 years, what they don't realize is that none of that time was wasted.

Any time I took off was used either to earn money for school or towards my goal of becoming fluent in an East Asian language.
You had a clear goal and you wasted no time in achieving it. This is completely different from OP's situation who asks if he should take time off to travel.

As for the word career, I meant it in the broadest sense possible.

Even if you want your own business (I think this can indeed be the most rewarding career choice - both financially and emotionally), you have no years to waste. You stated it yourself; you spent every year saving money for uni (and maybe already for your business?) and building your skill set.

Every year where you aren't doing these things, you are wasting precious time of your life, you are wasting time you could have spent on your own company and you are spending money without increasing your future earning potential (or earning any money at all).

One more question: did you already anticipate this business opportunity (or similar opportunities) many years ago and is that the reason you chose to pursue your degree and mastery of Chinese? If that is the case, then you are truly far ahead of most people.

Messages In This Thread