rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Need to Cover Gaps on My Resume Fast

Need to Cover Gaps on My Resume Fast

Quote: (12-20-2015 04:19 PM)DoctaWho Wrote:  

I'd never pay a service to lie about employing me unless it was a really good job. Your best bets IMO are:

1) Go through a recruiter. A good recruiter will handle smoothing over your resume gaps.

2) Put down freelancer or something entrepreneurial and make sure you have a couple of friends to backstop it. This can be as simple as saying that you were hired to do X for a company that failed.

Hello there DoctaWho. Greatly appreciate your reply. There’s a service that’s good at acting as a “previous employer” and providing references. But the problem with this is if the hiring company asks for your past W-2s from this employer, you won’t have them because you never paid taxes for it.

As to your first suggestion, I think recruiters expect a good resume to present to their clients. I don't think they'll help you lie on it since their clients expect workers to have no issues. But I could be wrong about this. Maybe someone here can shed more light on this?

As for the second suggestion, I have a friend who owned a hardware store. It operated 10 years before it failed this year. I could put that on my resume and say I either: 1) worked for it and then failed, or, 2) I was a partner and I invested money in the business but it ultimately failed.

Quote: (12-20-2015 06:51 PM)dispenser Wrote:  

Quote: (12-10-2015 07:19 PM)YossariansRight Wrote:  

You were:

*Taking care of a sick parent/child/wife
*You were on a religious mission (I'm thinking Mormon).
*You had an illness that you were recovering from.

All of these say "I have baggage that will interfere with my work."
If you're going to lie, let the lie at least be a DHV.

OP, I'd recommend asking your family who they know that is an employer.
Second cousin Whatsisname could claim to have had you as an unpaid intern.

Hi dispenser. I was actually thinking of putting on my resume that I:
1)Travelled abroad
2)Was a partner at a business that failed.

As for your suggestion, I do however have a family member who works for a corporation. He’s one of the executive managers. I could say that I was an unpaid intern where he worked. But the problem with this is that I’ve been unemployed for 3 1/2 years. Don’t you think a recruiter will be suspicious at that?

Messages In This Thread