rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Ultimate Martial Arts/Combat Sports/Boxing Thread

The Ultimate Martial Arts/Combat Sports/Boxing Thread

At the gym one of the boxing instructors also teaches MMA.

We were just talking and he started showing me a few things.

I know that showing me a few things is nothing compared to what you guys who have practiced for years can do. And I am not here to say I have mastered anything, far from it. And I want to acknowledge it is some intense stuff. It is one thing watching shit on TV and another when a guy with 30 years of martial arts puts you in a headlock and asks you, "what do you do now?" [Image: sad.gif]

It is clear beyond clear, I don't ever want to get taken to the ground. What was made clear is foot work is important in almost all self defense, probably all (I don't have enough experience to make absolute claims). We circled a bit and he tried to take my legs, being on the toes was so important to get the fuck out of the way.

I think I will be mixing up downs into my routine. It will be the closest thing I can do on my own to sprawl. I just need to remember to go long not wide (don't spread legs wide - push them straight back).

Much respect to anyone who has practiced any martial art/self defense/boxing for a long time. It takes some serious dedication. The grappling really amped the intensity compared to boxing for me. Granted it was my first time. But being in a headlock, etc just a very different feeling. I'll tell you this, if it happens to me, I am doing whatever I can to get out. No rules, I am gonna knee and punch the shit out of his balls if that is all I can get to [Image: lol.gif] But 100% I am against someone taking me to the ground.

Most importantly, just don't get into a fight if you can avoid it. It is like the more I have learned the more I realize this shit is no joke, you never know what they other guy knows and my first time sparring was a total fluke.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Messages In This Thread