rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Carnaval in Rio.... worth it?

Carnaval in Rio.... worth it?

Quote: (02-11-2015 09:12 AM)Seamus Wrote:  

Quote: (02-11-2015 06:32 AM)Sp5 Wrote:  

I would go, but go to a smaller city like Sao Joao del Rei in Minas (I love it) or even Belo Horizonte, or pick anywhere. Since you're in Argentina, why not Porto Alegre or Florianopolis in the south of Brazil?

You don't get to say "I was in Rio for Carneval," but in other ways the experience is likely to be better - you might be the only foreigner, it won't be a total mob, more likely to connect with locals. Much less expensive, too.

It's the same way I feel about Oktoberfest in Munich vs. the hundreds of small-city bier und wein- feste in Germany - the experience in the smaller places is better.

That's a really good point. I have to admit there is a strong desire to say "I was in Rio during Carnaval", and check it off the list so to speak. At the same time, I realize that's stupid and I should just go where I'll have the most fun. I'll research today and book tickets this afternoon, if I decide to pull the trigger.

Is Salvador as big of a shitshow as Rio?

Brazilians have told me Carneval in Salvador is better than Rio. My experience with Carneval has been in the USA with Brazilians, which was pretty good even if confined to hotel ballrooms. I went to a Samba festival in Rio once, it was a great big open air party, and also went to a small town festival in Minas Gerais, which was fun, too.

I think no matter where you go it will be great, so making your decision on the basis of flights and accommodation is ok.

Messages In This Thread