rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Bang Da Nang (Vietnam)

Bang Da Nang (Vietnam)

Quote: (12-10-2014 01:51 PM)JayJuanGee Wrote:  

Quote: (12-10-2014 01:05 PM)crisj Wrote:  

I would describe the food as 'ok.' There are two main supermarkets here which you'll need a motorbike to get to, but the choices are a little limited and im finding eating healthy and getting consistent levels of protein in a challenge. Luckily i've started dating a local girls who sells protein at the gym, although it's still hugely overpriced at around $70 a tub [Image: undecided.gif]

I find your above statement about protein to be of interest to me. I am planning to travel through that area for a couple of weeks, so a couple of weeks is NOT a big deal; however, my travel companion keeps laughing and telling me that she is going to turn me into "noodle man."

My preference is to eat meat and paleo type whole foods - yet you are indicating that you are buying protein in a tub, which sounds far from whole and/or natural. Also, next to the sea, so wouldn't there be seafood eating options?

I also read somewhere on the forum that when ordering food, a guy can just ask for extra protein and pay a little extra for that like $1 or $2.

This exactly. I order extra meat a lot of the time. If you were doing long-term, you could also keep plenty of meat and eggs at home to get your protein fix while in and eat regular when out. Markets in southeast asia often sell hard-boiled eggs, too, and that's a good go if you feel you're missing some protein.

I think the lack of protein is way overrated though. Sure, a lot of dishes and specific restaurants skimp, but most restaurants outside the street carts have their share of meat-heavy or all-meat dishes. It's usually a matter of just being willing to pay for it or knowing where to shop and eat.

For example, when my Thai buddies and I would get hungry in the middle of an all-day or all-night drinking session, a few of us would get elected to make a run to the market or a local street vendor, and sometimes all we'd bring back was loads of fish, pork, larb, fried or barbecued chicken, and whatever the fuck. OFten we'd grab a soup and some sticky rice, but the majority of these meals were straight up meat, and these guys weren't exactly wealthy.

Barbecuing up piles of meat while drinking beer was another common occurrence.

Often even on a night alone in my room, I'd just stop somewhere and grab a rotisserie chicken and sticky rice for dinner off a cart near the 7/11.

So, I'd say that, yeah, you can often get skimped on meat in meals when in SEA, but that doesn't mean the options aren't there.

Quote: (12-11-2014 09:49 AM)Cyclone Wrote:  

Quote: (12-10-2014 03:25 PM)JayJuanGee Wrote:  

Were those prices and dishes that you outlined in the Da Nang region, or more broadly reflective of overall Vietnam? And, would you or anyone else be wiling to describe your perception of differences - for example, seafood may be more prevalent near the sea, but beef may be more prevalent inland

First off I wouldn't touch the seafood along the coast of any of Vietnam. the amounts of contamination are simply not worth it and especially in unregulated seafood. thankfully, IME seafood doesn't comprise too much of the overall diet anyway. beef was huge for some reason.

Water in Saigon i also wouldn't touch haha, but Danang is likely different. still, try your best to have bottles on you at all times, and only drink the tap in emergencies.

Overall if you're going primal, you can expect to pay $5-9 per day in food. I too am primal and honestly ditch the diet every time i go to Saigon, it's just too much hassle especially if you don't speak the language. however there's nothing hard about picking out the meats only and avoiding the noodles (which is what i do in SP anyway). The pork is absolutely delicious, you will love it.

DaNang supposedly has the cleanest beaches and water in the country, so maybe if you buy local caught you're not doing too bad on the seafood. I still ate the seafood everywhere I went, but I'm kind of stupid. So there's that. [Image: biggrin.gif]

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Messages In This Thread