rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Bangkok Data Sheet

Bangkok Data Sheet

As you guys may know, I just returned from my first mini retirement in South East Asia. I spent 3 and half months there. About 90% of my time was spent in Bangkok with side trips to Phuket, Ko Phi Phi, James Bond Island, Ko Samet, Pattaya and 3 weeks in Cebu City in the Philippines. On this post, I'm going to post a data sheet of Bangkok as I lived in there for about 3 months between the end of October 2010 to early February 2011.

Needless to say I LOVED BKK hence why I spent the majority of my time in Thailand there. I loved it for many reasons, such as being a city rich in culture, combining perfectly the milennia old Thai culture with the ultra modern, as well as being a very international city full of foreigners from all over the world where it's very easy to meet people. It's also a great location for business as BKK is a strategic business hub in Asia. You're just an hour away from Phuket, Krabi or other amazing beaches; Hongk Kong is 2 hours away, Singapore, 1.5 hours, Kuala Lumpur, 2 hours; Tokyo only 6 hours so it's a very good location where you're near to some fantastic locations.

Infrastructures are good to conduct business there both from the internet than opening one there and having a physical office. I toyed with the idea of opening an office there and hiring sales people there and I may do that next time I go there. Also, the food is to die for and very reasonably priced. Night life is one of the best in the world (more on that later!) and the cost of living is very reasonable and can be quite cheaper than North America or Europe. More on that later! I will break down this post in categories (safety; night life and girls; cost of living/budget).

First of all, as I mentioned on my mini retirement thread, getting there from North America is a major pain the butt as it's far and the time difference is considerable. My flight had one connection in Abu Dhabi but the overall length of the flight was over 21 hours. And the time difference between the east coast and Bangkok is 12 hours (or was at the time, now it's 11 hours due to the summer time savings here in North America). So if you add these 2 (major long flight+considerable time difference= you being dead tired, jet lagged and it takes a good 3-5 days to recover and get settled in your new time zone. My point for point that out is if you come to Asia, don't bother with 1 or 2 weeks, it should be a least a month if you want to get a good feel for it and get the best bang for your buck.

From the first moment you get out of the airport in BKK, you realize it's a mix of modern and old traditional with an air of controlled chaos that adds to the overall excitement that this places creates. It's a breathe of fresh air coming from the very strict, controlled and overly politically correct environment of NA, at least for me. Now, safety:

Safety in Bangkok

In my 3 months there, I never felt unsafe or threatened there. And I walked at all hours of the day and night. Quite a few nights ( or rather early mornings), returning from clubbing, I was more than piss drunk and walking home for a 2-3 blocks and never had a problem. This was in the Sukhumvit area of town, which is a rather nice and modern part of BKK. When in BKK, it's best to stay in that area as that's where you'll find the most English speaking people/businesses. I usually stay away from English speaking people/businesses when travelling, but because Thai language is such a difficult one, I'd have to rely on it all the time. So back to safety tips, one major if not vital tip I can give to anyone going to BKK or Thailand is to NEVER EVER get in a fight with a Thai (be it a guy, or worst, a ladyboy or a girl) because when a Thai gets in a fight with a foreigner, the entire street teams up with the Thai and beats up the foreigner. Do not play the hero or the tough guy, even if you weigh 500 pounds and just trashed Anderson Silva at UFC 184 or whatever they're at now. The only time I almost got into trouble was in a bar in BKK, while watching an Arsenal match this Manchester United English fan who was obviously drunk started talking shit with me and instead of escalating with that slob, I just left the place as the guy was pissed drunk and didn't want to ruin a nice evening. Morale of the story, watch out for the drunk Englishmen, specially if a football match is on. Other than that, never ever piss off a Thai or worst, get into a fight with one as you'll be the only loser at the end, no matter how buffed up you are. Keep that in mind and you'll have no problem. This applies not only in BKK but through the Kingdom and all of Asia.

Accommodations/where to stay in BKK

A great thing about BKK and Thailand is that it's a destination that is easy on the wallet, unlike say Japan. Good, quality accommodations for all budgets can easily be found there. For about 30-40 bucks a night, you can easily stay at a relatively nice hotel with free wifi, swimming pool and breakfast. The best site bar none to book hotels at deep discounts in Asia is http://www.agoda.com (I booked 95% of my accommodations in my 3.5 months in Asia through that site).

Tai Pan Hotel, on Soi Sukhumvit 23, which I later found out, is on the same street as Soi Cowboy (the street filled with gogo bars) which turned out to be my favorite place to start an evening before hitting the clubs. The Tai Pan hotel is a large chain in Thailand and accross Asia. One morning, while having breakfast met the owner of that chain and spoke with him for a while and he turned out to be a good man. Anyways, I liked that hotel, clean hotel, big sized rooms, free and fast wifi (which is a must for my biz), a good gym and a decent sized swimming pool. It's about 4 minutes walk to the Asok BTS station and MRT subway station. Excellent location and the rate in October was about $40/night without breakfast. The staff were very professional, helpful and fluent in English. The breakfast buffet was 175 Baht and it had the best selection in all the of the hotels I stayed at throughout my 3.5 months in Asia. I would highly recommend this hotel. I stayed there for a week, the first week in BKK.

Nantra de Comfort, on Thong Lor street, which is one of the poshest areas of BKK. Very small, almost family like feel hotel, but very nice staff ( the girls are reception are HOT!), very helpful, very clean and comfortable rooms, excellent and fast free wifi and a modest breakfast included. I liked this place very much and stayed there for almost 3 weeks. Only reason I left is because I didn't find any good eating options nearby the hotel and had to "commute" (well, only 2 stops away on the BTS or a 5 minutes ride on the train and 5 minutes waking to get to the station) to Asok station where I usually ate.

Hotel Unico Express, Soi Nana 3. About 8 minutes walk from the Nana station, in Sukhumvit, right around the corner from the world famous Nana Entertainment Plaza (or NEP) but I never liked that place and woulrd rarely venture there. However, the location of the hotel was very good, with tons of good restaurants, specially Thai, middle eastern and Indian. Soi Arab was actually just around the corner. Soi Arab is basically 2 or 3 small streets filled with arabic stores, restaurants and people but also indians and persians. The hotel is good, staff are nice, friendly and speak English (at least the reception folks). Rooms are clean, big enough if you get the Superior one as you'd have a big bed, a desk to work (important for me) and a big sofa to receive guests and chill on and of course, indulge in some fun activites on it with the ladies. [Image: wink.gif] Excellent free wifi included, but no breakfast. No biggie as the breakfast buffet is good and costs about 175B (used to be 150 but was raised in Feb). From the end of November till end of Dec (before I left to the Phils) and each time returning to BKK, I went back there as they gave me an excellent deal (I paid about 700B for their superior room.

I will be using these hotels again next time in BKK, but I'd also like to try the 5 star Lebua as well, which is reasonably priced for a 5 star of this calibre at only $120/night.

General comments about BKK girls

Girls in BKK are generally very sexy, ranging from adorably cute to stunners (I'm talking about non pros) and even the pros have some very good looking ones. Take the BTS on any given afternoon, or go to Emporium or Siam Paragon and you'll be blown away by the quality of the eye candy. Plus, they dress very nicely and sexily, in a very feminine way, unlike the North American girls who dress like total sluts, specially during the summer. Non pros are quite open to meet a nice and classy foreigner, not the smelly, sloppy back packer. However, if you want the really beautiful girls, the ones that make heads turn and cause accidents on the streets each time they pass, you'd need to speak Thai, live there and have a social circle as the last thing the good and pretty girls from good families want is to be labelled a puta that hangs out with the 1 weeker backpacker or sex tourist.

Online gaming

I used online gaming a bit, specially in the beginning, when I didn't know anyone. I used mainly DIA or dateinasia.com My results were so so. About 99% of the girls there post pics that have been taken a good 10 years ago and /or have been heavily photoshopped if not both. Met quite a few girls that were nothing like their pics. I did however, meet a sexy, beautiful girl who had her own money, her career and a nice car through that site. I dated her for about 3 weeks before I got tired of her. It took me 3 dates before she gave it up, but it was well worth it as after that, she would bring her younger colleague and the 3 of us, would go clubbing and then, coming back to my hotel, sleeping all 3 of us, together. Wild and fun times. So all in all, not worth spending too much time on DIA as it's too easy to pick up in BKK, specially at night, but you might get lucky as I did with that girl.

Night life

Nightlife is good, specially around the Sukhumvit area. What I usually did was meet up wity my buddy there, then we'd hit up the bars at Soi Cowboy, get cheap drinks while flirting and having fun with hot and sexy strippers. While there are 2 strippers and strip bar areas (NEP at NANA and Soi Cowboy at Asok), I vastly preferred Soi Cowboy since it had a party vibe to it and attracts a younger crowd while NANA is more for the older (sex) tourist. The girls are way more fun at SC while at Nana, they're all strictly business. My favorite gogos in SC are Long Gun (that places gets going crazy some nights, like everyone dancing, guys joining the girls on the stage as I did once with another guy and 5 hot almost naked strippers and having a ball together while everyone in the crowd high 5ing us. Shored a spinner nympho from there once. Another great place for awesome shows is Rawe Hide, next door to Long Gun which also has some great shows by some very sexy girls. For pure eye candy, go to Tilac, accross the street or Midnite or Sahara. If you want a more rawdy action, then head to either Afterskook (with its famous "dirty corner" where you can get blown or even do the girl right there by the counter in a corner. LOL If you guys are interested, I could do a separate post just on the gogos at Soi Cowboy, as that place is an incredible place to spend a great night before going clubbing with or without a gogo girl. Most nights, I went there, shored a girl and ended up hitting the clubs with her. At the end, I had 3 regulars from the gogos who would go with me all the time for free and that never charged me a penny from the get go.

Clubbing

BKK has a vibrant clubbing scene. In Sukhumvit, you have Climax, which is located on Soi 11, on the basement of the Ambassador's hotel. That place was a place I spent a lot of time. It has a mix of non pros and some hot pros there. The fun part is not picking up girls as that's too easy, but to get the pros to come with you for free. It became a game for me at the end where I wouldn't even approach the non pros as they were too easy and would focus on shoring the pros just for the kick of it and for the challenge. They have a good live band until 1 or 1:30 am. On the weekends, I would go there, watch a football match there while dancing with 1 or 2 girls. Lots of fun memories there. Entrance is 200B per person which includes a drink. Drinks are priced between 150 for a beer to 180 for a glass of liquor. However, those mofos water down your drinks big time. Numerous times, I had the waiter return as he would bring me a glass of coke with no rum/vodka at all while I had asked for a rum/vodka/coke. I encountered this problem unfortunatley in most clubs in BKK and even in some gogos in Phuket. But that's another story...

Q Bar, is also on Soi 11, a more upscale bar, lots of eye candy. Bed SupperClub, also a hot spot for prime eye candy. Don't remember the pricing there as I only went a couple of times.

Narz or Narciss, a very high end club, on Soi 21, in Sukhumvit. Went there with the girl I met from DIA on a Sunday night, it was empty, free entrance, but drinks expensive for BKK (think 200B for a beer/soft drink). However, the interior was sick. This is the place that the rich and beautiful people of BKK go. The parking lot of Narz is filled with Porshes, (owned by the rich Thais). Went there again on a Saturday night, there was a huge line up, MAJOR eye candy, both Thai and gringos. Entrance was 600B/person. HOwever, the line up was huge so we (me, the Thai girl from Dia and her colleague went to another club instead whose name escapes me at this time).

Cost of Living/Budgeting for BKK

I spent there 3 months and I was having a ball on 500/week. That is going out, almost everynight, first to the gogos to warm up, then cubbing and coming to the hotel in the wee hours of the morning. I ate out all the time, took cab mostly at nights and the BTS during the day. Cabs are relatively cheap in BKK. Oh, when arriving in BKK, at the airport, just go to the lower area where the departures is located and just get a cab from there. Make sure the meter is on and your ride from the airport to Sukhumivt should be no more than 250, tops 300B. When staying in BKK, make sure you get a BTS card which you can purchase for 100B then you can put money on it for your trips on the BTS. It's extremely convenient as it saves you the time and hassle of purchasing a ticket each trip as you just swipe your card and off you go. All in all, next time I come to BKK, I won't stay long term in a hotel, but instead would get an apart. I did see some good deals to be had if one is willing to sign a 3-6 months contract and even better deals for 12 months contracts. I was spending about 1K/month on hotels so with that amount or even less, I can rent a nice apart in a good area. For a good lifestyle, I think 2.5 to 3K/month, you can really live it up in BKK. A good time can also be had for as little as 1.5 to 2K month if one is not too picky about staying outside of Sukhumvit.

This is getting a bit long, so I'll stop now. Any specific questions, feel free to post them here. Bangkok is an amazing city in all aspects. and I can't wait to return there. I LOVED it and so will you provided you you remember my warnings. Have fun.

Messages In This Thread