rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Accounting Career Data Sheet

The Accounting Career Data Sheet

Awesome data sheet. I've entered this career path down a completely different route. I noticed that in the UK many people were going down the university route and then spending an additional year to gain a masters degree. Upon achieving a masters degree they had to sit an additional 8 - 12 (degree dependent) or so more exams over a 3 year period to reach a chartered level (UK equiv of CPA I believe). This came in at a total cost of £36,000 in tuition fees and possibly the same again on top for living expenses worth of debt.

There was another option that was by far cheaper and reach the same level of qualifications potentially earlier. A candidate could leave normal school at 16 and within 2 years complete AAT (Associates of Accounting Technicians). This, provided a company employs them for a suitable role, will make them eligible for the professional exams that are required for chartered.

They would have to sit 16 exams however they would gain 3 exemptions therefore sitting 13 more. Whereas the candidate going by the university route would be starting their degree. 13 exams would take 3 years (approx) has it is 2 sittings per year and students typical take 2 exams. So when the university candidate finishes their degree the non-uni candidate would have one exam left to charter. Both would typically be 21 years old and the non-uni guy gets there over 3 years faster without the £72,000 of debt.

I have chosen the non university route and so far my personal cost of tuition has cost me zilch. My employer pays for it. Although I do indirectly pay by taking a reduced salary ($21,000 or so).

Are there other routes of entry in the US too?

Messages In This Thread