rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Accounting Career Data Sheet

The Accounting Career Data Sheet

Quote: (02-12-2015 07:18 AM)mrbiggs Wrote:  

I'm 31 years old with a BA degree. I want to get an MBA but have thought about getting a master's in accounting instead. My undergrad GPA is shit and I've been working as an independent contractor doing paralegal type work which is all remote and allows me to live abroad.

However, I feel like I need to get my shit together. Here are my questions:

1. Do you think if I busted my ass and took pre-requisites at a community college I could get into a decent master's program at a reputable school?

2. Is 31 too old for entry level at a Big 4?

3. Does my low undergrad GPA in PolySci matter is I have a master's degree?

Any other info. is helpful.

1. Pre-reqs are pre-reqs anywhere BUT that being said, the perception of where these pre-reqs came from can fuck you over.it's easy to find out if you can get into a Master's program at a reputable school. Give them a call or email them. Troll the fuck out of them for information as to "what it takes."

Truth is that some young undergrad with a 4.0 gpa at a good school is going to have a better chance than you. So the cost of getting into a good program is going to be the time it takes for you to "gather information" from the school you want to go to. I know for a fact that the SUNY system in New York will take master's candidates that have pre-requisites met within their system of community colleges or undergrads.

Is money an issue? Meaning can you pay a bit extra to get the credits from the same school as the master's program. This will be extremely useful in the sense that you are then putting yourself on top of the list if you can get involved in the school's Accounting department and "game" the staff there.

2. 31 is not too old on the surface. However, keep in mind that you WILL be more mature than the existing crowd. You absolutely CANNOT afford to keep to yourself even if the rest of your co-workers seem immature and dumb. You kind of have to bring yourself down to their level and be the "cool" older guy with experience. If you stay away from social events and shit, it can cost you. I've covered it above in the data sheet but want to reiterate that because it's important.

At the same time, do not expect to have any type of accelerated growth in the Big 4 just because you are more "mature." That shit does not matter. The accelerated promotions go to people that get caught up in a shitshow and shovel their way out, seek out a shit show, or are very socially capable and/or a combination of more than one of these. Another words, it has nothing to do with your past experiences or your maturity as a well traveled man UNLESS you are able to your experiences in the former categories I mentioned. Trust me that's tough when you're hanging around barely college age people that have no life experience.

3. It doesn't matter as long as you don't draw attention to it. If they ask, you just say that you decided to do Accounting because of xxx reason. Remember that xxx reason needs to be real compelling. That's all. Don't draw attention to it on your resume, and don't draw attention to it during conversations and interviews/meetings. Leave it behind you.

If you want to PM me with more specific details, I'm more than happy to expand on any of these responses.

In return, I ask that any or all of you post more on the forum and add some value from your own lives, game or not. I see way too many people that I respond to here that kind of just lurk or post when they need something. Give me at least one thread, or even one post or even 1 approach in the game section guys. It's not much to ask to give back to this forum.

Messages In This Thread