rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Accounting Career Data Sheet

The Accounting Career Data Sheet

I"m back. Unfortunately I have a lot on my plate so replying to these questions hasn't been easy as I like to give it some thought first too.

Quote: (01-04-2015 06:01 AM)stevoaus Wrote:  

Thanks for posting this great information. I'm currently employed as an engineer but also have a commerce degree majoring in accounting. My question is, I have not had much exposure to accounting outside the classroom. I'm interested in learning and working to gain skills and experience even for free (married to a millionaire so money no issue) as I always loved studying it at uni. Is it possible to work for these firms in this way or am I better off faking through the whole process and quitting after 6 months.

Depends on what type of skills you're looking for. Technical or Social? Big 4 gives you both, albeit it is social skills and game that make you successful. And that requires commitment as well which may be tough for you to provide since you are already in a well off place. If you want the technical skills instead, you can easily speak with a local CPA firm and do an internship to gain the skills.

I mean, you are basically prioritizing your career over your life joining the Big 4 and I'm not sure you want to do that.

Quote: (01-04-2015 04:49 PM)neocrummer Wrote:  

Hey Cobra, when were these similar events happening? I ask this because nowadays, even looking at a girl can have HR up your ass for "sexual harassment." How did you or your friend avoid the wrath of HR?

I think you're reading too much into the media hype with regards to HR. There are many guys with game that circumvent the "sexual harassment" monster. Let's just keep in mind that the Big 4 is a "project based" environment, meaning you rarely work with peers consistently. If a girl started the same year as you, then you can game her at "office" social events and also get some while she is also working late on another client engagement the same night. Maybe you can compare notes, or more [Image: lol.gif]. HR becomes more of an issue when there are many years of experience between you and/or same project you're both on. If it's both, it can fuck you up real well. So, it's beneficial to see the context of how you game in that environment.

Quote: (01-04-2015 05:13 PM)Rang off the Pipe Wrote:  

I wish I had seen this when I was in school. I'm still very young and have ideas about hopefully going into international accounting in the future, but is this stuff essentially moot for someone too far out of school and lacking the experience?

No, it's not moot. You can still take the route, just understand that you will be in a different crowd (age and experience wise) so it will be good for you to "dumb" down or in other words, learn to be more social with a different crowd. If you can do that effectively, it can be fantastic.

As long as you keep your GPA up, join the campus business groups, and go to a good school, you can get into the Big 4 or a large corporation regardless of age or experience factor. If you do have experience in another field though, it actually should help you as long as you do the other stuff correctly.

But again, be ready to prioritize your work more than your life. That's the trade off.

Messages In This Thread