rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Accounting Career Data Sheet

The Accounting Career Data Sheet

Man, you guys got the questions coming. And good ones too. Play on playas!

Quote: (07-13-2014 12:28 AM)Richiavelli Wrote:  

There's one nagging part about your posts though for me - I feel like accounting fucks with you, especially public accounting. I've only been doing this for 2+ years now and its starting to get to me.

I don't remember any of my tax counterparts being social at ALL. I worked closely with them on pretty much every single one of my teams. That being said, the Tax profession has very complex technical implications and tax strategy is something that saves Corporations tons of $$. So the best people may not have social skills but they come across as smart as a fuck.

I still stand by my original statement though that this alone does not make partner, EVEN IN TAX. The tax partners I met had just as much game as Audit partners. As far as "Public" Accounting fucking with your head, honestly, anything worth doing will fuck with your head. Every day of my almost 7 years fucked with my head but I dealt with it because it was worth it. The partners in Tax had ripped through that even more while not having the benefit of the more social Audit folks around them. And I respect that immensely.

Quote: (07-13-2014 12:53 AM)Deluge Wrote:  

Quote: (07-12-2014 04:21 PM)Peregrine Wrote:  

Quote:Cobra Wrote:

That round table can be an interesting one and I can write a whole article about how that works.

Please do. I would read every word.

I'd be very keen on this also. Especially if there's any similarity with Finance hiring.

I'm not sure if it's worth it to post another thread here or send to Roosh for ROK. With ROK, I wonder if it would reach a wide enough audience and may not be worth it. Either way, I'm working on something.

I will cover not only hiring "roundtables" in the Big 4, but also promotion "roundtables" where people fight over the pot of money available for raises. It used to be fun and interesting [Image: smile.gif]. I will also cover hiring in Corporate (Finance and Accounting) since I myself have done quite a bit. Will also sprinkle in some examples on how the market affects things. For example, there was a slump after 2008's Real Estate debacle that left CPA firms taking on shitty clients and lowering fees, thereby affecting hiring as well.

Quote: (07-13-2014 01:50 AM)booshala Wrote:  

Perhaps I'm being a wet blanket, but haven't you gone through a lot of layoffs, Cobra? Seems like pertinent information to include in your data sheet: you seem like the top end of the accounting game, but if you can get screwed over so often, what can other people expect?

Yeah man, per the above, I'll cover. As I mentioned in the sheet, it was already exhaustive and knew I couldn't cover everything. It was more of a comprehensive intro.

Quote: (07-13-2014 07:10 AM)2014 Wrote:  

what do you think of the CIMA, ACA and ACCA qualifications?

Shoot man. I could answer your question simply and blow off the bigger picture on how credentials fit into the big picture. But, in the spirit of what I have learned from many folks here, especially MikeCF, that would be dishonest. I could do another sheet just on this. Truth of the matter is that "extra" qualifications beyond "CPA" or "Chartered Accountant" designation in ANY country only go so far. Only experience can get you into certain jobs. For example the CIMA designation talks about how it will teach you how "Finance" and "Accounting" come together. Let's say when I'm looking at resumes as the Controller trying to hire a senior finance analyst for my finance team, two guys show up. One has a CMA (or CIMA) and has 2 years of experience at, let's say, McDonalds or Pepsi. And, I have another guy that has a CPA and has 2 years at a Big 4 firm. I will hire the latter dude, easily.

I remember this guy rolled in with a bunch of designations which included, CISA and CIA and he had solid experience in a few Corporations. I ended up hiring a girl that had 2 years of experience at Deloitte instead with no CPA (but she was working on it and convinced me that she'd get it done in the next year). And she did get it done.

Bottom line, don't expect designations to open doors for you but they can definitely grease the wheel once you're already on the ride.

Messages In This Thread