rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Accounting Career Data Sheet

The Accounting Career Data Sheet

Great datasheet Cobra, tons of information. I had been wondering if there were other accountants on the forum.

I'm just finishing up my second year at a Big 4 firm in NYC. I work in the Audit practice as well. From my short time in the industry, and what I hear at work, I'd agree with everything that Cobra said.

If you'd like to make it to a high up position in the accounting field then you need to start in Public, and it should be the Big 4. The firms that are just below have a ton of opportunities as well but you won't have experience with the same type of clients and a lot of the recruiters specifically look for Big 4 experience.

In terms of the work/life of Public Accounting, it's going to vary based on your clients but you will always be busy from for Year End (January-March) at a minimum. Busy season hours can be rough but at least it's during the winter months. However, some unlucky people are on multiple year ends and they could be working crazy hours most of the year. The variability and unpredictability is one of the biggest turn offs of the Big 4 and why a ton of people leave.

For Cobra, are you still working in accounting and what area do you work in? You laid out the general framework well but it's interesting to see the path people take after leaving the Big 4.

Messages In This Thread