rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Accounting Career Data Sheet

The Accounting Career Data Sheet

Quote: (02-07-2016 04:15 AM)NilNisiOptimum Wrote:  

I'm seeking some accounting career advice myself now. I came to accounting after getting a bachelors in marketing.

So what could I expect if I were to go look for a senior accountant type job outside of my current company? My education, as I said, isn't accounting. I took my required accounting course around the time Enron collapsed. Do employers in accounting want to see that that accounting degree to go with the experience? Do I even have enough experience? Right now, I see controller as the career of choice, given my appreciation of the black-and-white nature of accounting. Would going back for and MBA or trying to pass parts, if not all, of the cpa be a good move?

I use to be a CPA, and work in Big 4 accounting/consulting.

Yes, it is highly recommend you have a BS or Master in Accounting, if you wish to be a Controller. Why, because both degrees allow you to get a CPA.

The CPA will determine your ability to get high paying jobs. At the end of the day, the CPA is a state government issued license, which means it is control and regulated to help you, create a union position. The master degree will help you, but the CPA is expected and highly desire for Controller work. A CPA will guarantee you an interview for a controller position.

In addition, your career in payroll is a dead end job. The only way out and to move up, is to get a Master's in Accounting. Do not get an MBA. An MBA is for people who are looking to work in corporate management. MBA is also for people who already have a B.S. in accounting. Since you don't have one I recommend a Master's in Accounting. A master's in accounting is for those who are non business majors.

First of all, high paying Accounting jobs are based off of pedigree and is highly prejudice of shitty online degrees. The only online degree that is respected is a Master in Accounting from Penn State and Syracuse, or other programs that have strong brick mortar programs.

I believe that Penn State and Syracuse will not divulge information that your degree was online, and will treat the degree as if you were in town.

Also do not tell any employer that your degree is online. That will hurt you.

If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of.
– Bruce Lee

One must give value, but one must profit from it too, life is about balance

Messages In This Thread