rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Accounting Career Data Sheet

The Accounting Career Data Sheet

Quote: (11-11-2015 04:21 PM)Rang off the Pipe Wrote:  

Well, I've decided to go and pursue an accouting graduate degree (starting next year). It'll allow me to get the CPA but that's certainly not my end-goal. Right now my plan is to hopefully work for a large firm and get the experience and knowledge I need to reach where I want to be. Is it realistic to move between countries with an auditing role? I already have one foreign language under my belt and should have another by the end of this year

I really do hate to say it but the short answer is no. Main reason being that big "Public Accounting," especially Big 4 firms generally have offices in each large city; so they don't need you to travel to another country's office unless you go there for an "exchange" type program. Every large firm has one but you have to prove yourself first. Other programs may exist as well but they will be very rare.

Best bet is to learn what you can in a large firm and leave after a few years for a finance role at a multinational company where travel is required. Some of these jobs are 80%+ travel. The caveat is that you may yet have to build your experience in the Corporate Finance world to get into these types of roles. You can even take a non travel job at a multinational company and apply for one internally when it opens up.

When junior people say they travel a lot in a large accounting firm it means they are travelling in the local country. Very rarely is it international until more experience is gained and you have proved yourself.

A's far as developing information and extracting value from it properly, I will provide some tips.

Going back to how important it is to network. Get connected to people at networking events and also Linkedin. You may find middle managers at large companies who would be happy to provide you information if you buy them lunch or even coffee. I do it for a living so I know it works.

Do yourself another favor and while networking don't listen to people with no experience or very little experience. Their views can be very limited. Instead mix it up with middle managers and top level managers too if you can. This way you will figure out who to believe. Connections are very important in this business.

Last thing is, be careful what you read on CPA board's or any one on the Internet that talks about this (except for me and a few others). Most of those boards and sites are full of keyboard jockeys. The successful people are out hustling.

Messages In This Thread