rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Key to Learning Difficult Languages

Key to Learning Difficult Languages

It's very simple actually.

Learn an easier language first.

Not only does it give you an upper hand at understanding grammatical differences and nuances at a deeper level, it allows you to broaden your understanding of certain phrases and words.

In my own personal experience, learning Swedish was quite difficult because of the abundance of nuances. It also was my first language. But here's the trap I was getting into; only comparing it to English. After I finished most of my studies in Swedish (conversational, not very far from fluent), I switched to French because I was absolutely smitten with French girls from my exchange.

It came so easily, because I grasped it in a different way. With multiple languages under your belt, you're able to understand more and more because you understand how to conceptualize words and phrases (along with grammar) in ways that you couldn't have in the past.

Another quick suggestion is to not do the same linguistics work in one place, as it will only get you confused. One would be astonished at how much an environment can impact your language preferences. I was once studying French via duolingo at my Swedish location and I put in "Jag tycker om ca" of "J'aime ca" and it was my last heart [Image: confused.gif].

But going back to my point, the difficulty level of learning a language well is reduced exponentially after learning another, perhaps easier one. Now I'm thinking that French was probably much easier than Swedish but hell, who knows. Good luck out there gents, just my two cents.

Messages In This Thread