rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Living in a Shipping Container

Living in a Shipping Container

Quote: (01-20-2016 12:49 AM)one-two Wrote:  

Quote: (08-01-2013 04:08 AM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

zoning can be a big problem with anything not mainstream

Isn't it too small to qualify as a house? Hence the tiny house movement popularity (i.e., you can build one anywhere you want for cheap). Maybe this only applies when it's on a trailer, I could be wrong.

If you go to off grid or survivalist websites, you know that the last thing localities want is citizens who are self sufficient, or free of a mortgage. They want you to have a piece of shit house that falls down on the day the mortgage is paid. Now they are actually retroactively changing codes in Colorado to get people tied back into the grid:

Colorado: Off-Gridders Forced back on the Grid, Camping on own land Illegal

If I remember correctly, you can finesse the issues by trying to pass it off as a shed, and hiding the fact you are living in it.

I think that it would depend on where you lived, since living in a shipping container would mean basically living in a metal box, and this would roast you in the summer, even if you insulated it, I think.

The basic best practice for building since time immemorial is walls, roof, foundation, with an emphasis on the foundation and the roof, which can be summed up as "good hat, good boots."

I would steer clear of this design, cool as it is, because even if you insulated it, where would the moisture go, coming up hard against the metal and condensing? I am not an architect or a carpenter, but it seems tailor made for mold problems without walls that breathe.

And the steel top would keep the water out, but roofs are pitched for a reason, and if the thing is used and in the process of rusting through, well, it is possible to retrofit one and turn it into a house, but I would be much more inclined, cool as these things are aesthetically mind you, to go for something that was designed to be a house from the ground up, and there are many cheap solutions for this out there.

One resource is the website I linked to.

“The greatest burden a child must bear is the unlived life of its parents.”

Carl Jung

Messages In This Thread