rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Networking: CCNA to CCIE etc.

Networking: CCNA to CCIE etc.

Hello All,

Stopping by to release one of four data sheets I'll be dropping over the course of the next few days to week. Youngmoneyglobal, Thomas The Rhymer, Elebayarde, etc. etc. inspired me to really over the past year, network and make connections with a more diverse array of businesses and people with an array of skills in different professions.

A little information:

I have been working closely with a large team of Cisco certified Architects (CCIE). These guys were always interesting to me, they seemed to really enjoy their job, and have lived all over the place. As time progressed I familiarized myself with them, received advice, and made a fair amount of them good friends.

They had been goading me to get certifications and get into the field, and I decided to begin studying and got my CCNA after I posted that thread awhile ago about "What certifications etc. etc. are good to have" I will be getting the rest within six months, as I have time to study and this is something that interests me.

So the thread?

I decided for the forum, I was going to interview these guys and compile the information I already had with their points of view into a data sheet, and just post it here for all those that are seeking a new career or an opportunity that has a bounty of options.

There are little hacks to this field in training, such as the fact that it would supposedly cost thousands and thousands to get quality training using racks, getting the workbooks, tests with answers etc. etc. when in reality there are a few companies that the ones who get hooked up used.

But, here is some information and any questions will be answered as soon as I can.

What is a basic description of each level of certification? What is The amount of time that is spent in order to get that level of certification (studying, and application wise)? What are the study materials most companies provide?

The cisco certifications start at ccna level , which is a beginners level , and is the first step in cisco networking . When you have some experience then you go for CCNP which is the next step and is more technical in nature. Usually CCNA can be done in about 1 month and basic TCP/IP knowledge is required.Then CCNP talks about routing protocols and hardware etc. Most companies have what is called a WorkBook , a number of step by step instuctions to follow .The Workbooks contains labs/scenarios which a student attempts on hardware/machines and gets knowledge as to how to do it.

How much does it cost to become certified at each level? What are the benefits and knowledge associated with each level? What job opportunities are available, both in the US and internationally in this field? How will it grow in the next 10-20 years do you think?

CCNA training usually costs about 200-300$ and the exam/certification costs about the same.

This level gets you familiarized with basic networking , how to connect to routers/switches etc and gets you prepared for some basic levels.
The job opportunities are at tech support level for beginners.

The growth opportunities are increasing everyday since the internet runs on about 80% of cisco hardware and its growing more everyday. As other countries grow technologically and begin using CISCO hardware, the job opportunities will increase as well. There is already a high demand for CCIE certified individuals for jobs that make between $100-$200k a year.

What is the general job description of being a networker? What sort of companies/industries hire people in these positions? What is the starting income and estimated potential income for each level?

What exactly is a rack?

At the top level of CCIE , you may be responsible for the whole network of companies like google, yahoo and any big net giant . You and your team trouble shoot new problems , test and maintain the network and provide failover solutions if one piece of the network fails .You are responsible for redundancy and firewalling the network. You are the last line of defense.
Starting salary of CCIE is around 120K in USA and across the globe similar scale is available .. and it jumps rapidly to 200K with a couple years experience under your belt. At the top level of CCIE , you are responsible for the whole network of companies like google, yahoo and any big net giant . you and your team trouble shoot new problems , test and maintain the network and provide failover solutions if one piece of the network fails , you are responsible for redundancy and firewalling the network. You are the last line of defense.

Starting salary of CCIE is around 120K in USA and across the globe similar scale is available if not higher, and it jumps rapidly to 200K with a couple years experience under your belt.

What's the average work day like?

A CCIE networking expert usually maintains the network and monitors most of the times ..unless there is an installation ..then he/she flies to where the install needs to be done and configures everything as per specs.

What are the hours like?

It Varies. if its a maintenance role then 9-5 , if its during installations/trouble shooting then sleepless nights.

What is it like working for a company as a networker, is there respect, is it leisurely?

Amazing work environment at this level, people are friendly, there are perks with time put in, and you make some interesting connections if you are willing to put yourself out there and not be the "weird techy guy".

What exactly is CISCO?

Cisco is the company which is the backbone of what we know as INTERNET
any information leaving your machine to go to any other part of the world goes through more cisco routers/switches than any other brand hardware.

That's all for now folks, this is the first part. If you need recommendations for the best companies for training and to cut your costs and time for training, racks and practice, I will PM you, or just post the recs here if a few people ask.

Read This Too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisco_Caree...ifications

Cheers.

Messages In This Thread