rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What's more important: Career happiness or outside of work happiness

What's more important: Career happiness or outside of work happiness

I posted a thread about which job I should take; either a Corporate Finance or Acquisitions position. I did the recommended research (pro's and con's, bank roll improvement, location) and I have concluded that each are basically the same. One would improve my career over the long term and one would make me happier outside of work long term.

Job 1: I would stay at my current company and move to the corporate finance dept working with one of the smartest individuals I have ever met (He bought and held the Apple IPO, THE go to guy for finance in our company, director of financial strategy) and I would learn a lot from him. He called me asking me to apply and said he "hoped I would apply"... 4 times. I have a mentor that is a VP, I would be working near the CEO and would work with the CFO. So I would make good contacts. Basically, this would put me on the fast track for management and beyond in my company. However, I don't think I want to stay with this company forever, and if i got management in the corp finance dept.. I would look at better companies. I wouldn't get much of a raise from the new job. I would have to stay in this area which isn't great nightlife wise, but I make the best of it. But overall, this would be the best option long term career wise.

2) Acquisitions analyst at a similar company in DC. I would get a 40% raise, I would be connected to the defense industry complex circle so make some decent contacts and could find something better to do easily after I got a year or so experience. The level of responsibility wouldn't be as good as job 1 and I think the job will be super easy. The life outside of work would improve dramatically, there's more to do and I will have a lot more money to do the things I want (new car, pay off student loans, etc,.). I would get to experience new things while I am still young (29) and I have always wanted to move to a city and just be able to walk to venues instead of driving 20 mins. Overall, I would be much happier in my life outside of work and career wise long term it would be unknown.

Edit: What makes me happy is trading equities (finance is my passion if you couldn't tell). I can do this inside and outside of work but job 2 will give me more capital to continue this passion.
I know the pro's and con's to both jobs so I'm not really asking for input; however welcome. I want to know...What's more important to you? Happiness outside of your career or happiness with your career?

Messages In This Thread