rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Best cities in Asia to score a decent job and increasing it's own network

Best cities in Asia to score a decent job and increasing it's own network

Quote: (03-12-2015 06:58 PM)KonstantinAbroad Wrote:  

there are many good ideas and great answers in this tread.

The idea with making a master at one of the better asian universities is also not a bad one however I'm more or less unsure if it would be really worth the money and also acknowledged outside of Asia.

Maybe there is someone here on this forum who currently studies in an Asian country and could share his experience on that topic?

I applied for a research degree at NUS (Singapore) from Chicago and used that as a way to get my foot in the door. It was incredibly successful, and they want to keep me here indefinitely and keep throwing money at me (even after the degree). Sadly, I am trying to leave SP by this summer, but in any case shoot me a PM if interested in more.

I will tell you one thing, if you get a Master's by coursework, it'll be much harder to build a network and make connections, if you do by research it's already considered "work" and you get lots of hookups. I had to turn down a $40/hr GRE teaching job. In my opinion getting a job in SP is pretty easy. However, don't expect tons of $ to be thrown at you right off the bat.

Final note, if you do plan to teach English in Asia anywhere, always ALWAYS follow this plan: work for an institution for the first 3 months (yes, low-value deal), search for potential clients/students/parents, then wrap them all together and teach your own course to them for the big $$$. Never, ever be a slave to an institution for more than 3 months. This method is more effective in 2nd-tier cities.

The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary.
DATASHEETS: Singapore (2014) | Vietnam (2015) | Cebu (2015) | Honolulu (2016) | Couchsurfing (2016) | KS, Taiwan (2018)
BTC: 1MoAetVtsmM48mkRx66Z9gYkBZGzqepGb5

Messages In This Thread