rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

A beginner's guide and reading list to jobhunting and networking

A beginner's guide and reading list to jobhunting and networking

Over the years I've gotten a few job applications and resumes sent to me, and I've noticed the following issues:

1. The resume gets sent to "Human Resources" or "Hiring Manager", neither of which is me. I'm glad someone's showing initiative, but I want someone who can figure out the person they are trying to reach (me). In one case it was someone who fairly obviously was sending a "blast resume" to everyone on a mailing list, since I knew something of the situation.

2. The resume looks like it was prepared by someone in a college career center. No sense of what the organization is looking for, no attempt to bring strengths to my attention, etc. It was particularly noticeable in one case where the person's address was within a half of mile of our location.

That said, one thing that did impress me is those who used slightly heavier high-grade paper. If you're going to send a cold resume to someone, use better paper.

Messages In This Thread