rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

St. Petersburg Data Sheet

St. Petersburg Data Sheet

Entropy4, excellent summary, pretty much everything is true. Just a few notes.

Quote: (08-10-2011 06:01 AM)Entropy4 Wrote:  

The people are openly racist. It's not an hateful, "I want to stab black people," kind of racism. But more of a, "We don't want to talk to people who aren't white," type of racism. It's different than racism in the West. It's less about superiority than just wanting to be with your own kind.

This is not even considered racism in Russia (and I don't consider that racism either); I'd dare to say that wanting to be with your own kind is a natural species survival reaction, which requires a lot of government effort to override. But I can see how this information could be a source of disappointment to the "all white women are craving for the black cock" crowd, so this was a useful note [Image: smile.gif]

Quote:Quote:

I asked some locals about it and they said that if minorities came to Russia, they would probably be fine, but just expect to be ignored by many locals and not treated with the same respect in restaurants and shops, etc.

It depends on a lot of things. For example, a well-dressed (think suits) middle-aged black/latino/middle-eastern guy who behaves properly (i.e. NOT the obnoxious look-at-me-everyone way some behave in US) would have no problems at all. But if the same guy is dressed up in a baggy pants and hoodie is unlikely to even make it into any restaurant which has a doorman, not to mention a club. The way you dress up makes huge difference in Russia, hundred times more than in US. So if you go there, choose your clothes very carefully. Especially if you're from the West coast - in this case I suggest to leave all your clothes at home, and just buy them there.

Finally, Russia is corrupt as hell. Nothing works. People are late everywhere.

It has some benefits though - when you're caught driving drunk from a party with six girls in your car smoking pot, then a nice police officer might get into the driver seat and drive you all home - for a small fee of $500 in cash.

It took me a solid two weeks of studying with a teacher 4 hours a day to get to the point that I could order food or ask for directions.

Russian is very hard to start learning, as you need to learn A LOT before you even start actually talking. However once you get past this initial knowledge barrier, things are getting much easier.

Russian women expect you to be insanely aggressive. They offer you NO help.

Russian women expect you to be a man who knows what he wants, not a pussy who needs constant assertiveness and support like a teenager on a first date. Her motto is "I already have a kid, I don't need an adult kid in my life". Note that being a man has nothing to do with "badass" look - in fact, VK type will likely have problems there as he will be associated with criminals which is not good association - it is about behavior.

You really grow to appreciate the assertiveness of US girls in some ways. They don't ever touch you back.

It is not socially acceptable for women to touch a stranger man in public. And there is no such thing as "touch back" in Russia - for me it is still a weird concept. And be really careful about touching other guys, some may think you're gay and hitting on them - an easy way to get beaten up right there.

They don't smile back when you smile. They don't react to teases.

They do react to teases in Russian, they just rarely know English good enough to understand you're actually teasing them. Think of it this way: she doesn't understand your English, she translates every word you say to Russian and then tries to understand it. This makes most of your teasing sound gibberish.

What this means is that the city is effectively split in half from 12:00 to 4:00 every night.

There is a tunnel under the Neva river, so the city isn't split completely. But it is kinda far away.

What does this mean? If you live on one side of the river and she lives on the other side, all you have to do is keep her out until midnight, then she's stuck staying with you.

If she stayed till midnight and didn't watch the clock every minute, she already wants to spend the night with you, so this is not relevant. All you need to do is NOT to remind her about bridges as she'd consider it as "he wants me out".

The food sucks. The weather really sucks (it snowed in May... ugh).

I can tell you DO NOT want to be there in winter. Except if you're from Toronto and REALLY enjoy the February weather there. Then SPB will be fine for you, just grab extra warm clothes.

To go to Russia you need a visa and a letter of invitation. Getting these involves about $300-400 worth of fees and 2-3 weeks wait period for a 30-day visa. If you want to go for more than 30 days then you're looking at up to $800 in fees and a month wait period. And that doesn't even count the $1000 or so in airfare to get there.

And if you overstay your visa, you may be in DEEP trouble. They won't let you out, you'd have to go to the special city office (conveniently open from 9:00 to 9:30 every second Monday), file the paperwork, wait a week or two and get another exit visa. Do not.

Messages In This Thread