rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Always call her by her name

Always call her by her name

I'm with JustJay here, I give all my students and most of my friends a personal 'nickname' which usually sticks with them forever.

For instance, there was this chick named Xi Xi but she wore huge glasses, so I started calling her Glasses and by the end of the year, everyone knew her as 'Glasses' and she would even sign her name as 'Glasses'. It made her more comfortable in the class and people were able to interact with her very easily because it created an atmosphere of fun. When other teachers would follow up with the next class the entire mood would disappear and things would get serious again. The other teacher's would always wonder how I could get everyone (from diverse backgrounds) to mix so easily, act silly, talk a lot and have fun. It was all to do with them taking on a different persona (their nickname). If you told Glasses to come up in-front of the class and do an embarrassing role-play, she wouldn't hesitate, now if you asked Xi Xi to do it, well then you were putting her personal 'face' at stake. Just as if I get positive or negatively repped here, it's Badwolf who is getting that, not so much ME personally.

I never refer to my wife in her Chinese name unless its something VERY serious. I chopped her Chinese name into a manageable piece and tagged on something that had a nice English ring to it. She even knows herself now by that name so when I say her Chinese name she's wide-eyed and all ears because likely I'm saying something very serious.

I would say giving a nickname creates a personal bond between two people and allows others to relax around you. Obviously no one calls me Badwolf except you guys but in my personal life (even in my family) I'm known by another nickname. The same with my brother, my father and my mother (dad and mom). If I were to call my parents by their first names, they would think something was wrong with me. To give you an example: The last time I heard my REAL name, I was being cuffed and thrown into the back of a cruiser.

I find the people who are called by their REAL first names are usually people who aren't much fun to be around. Some of the big name teachers in Guangzhou are known by their nicknames but absolutely nobody knows them by their real name. Nothing is more fun or memorable than a great nickname. Out of my GZ social group, we only called... mmm I think two guys by their REAL first names and both of them were seriously uptight people.

As for GAME, I would certainly start by making a nickname for a girl. Why? Well when you are talking to that girl this name will be something only the two of you know, kind of like 'an inside joke'. It always sucks being around 2 friends, who are making inside jokes, laughing like hell and then hearing "Oh you'd have to be there or you wouldn't understand!". It's going to trigger all sorts of good memories that the two of you shared together and is especially effective if her guy friends/orbiters are around. You want to make it known that she enjoys her time with YOU and trusts YOU to give her a fitting name. This also means that YOU are someone that she allows into her comfort zone. Anyone else attempting to call her by her nickname will make her seriously uncomfortable unless YOU have accepted them into your new 'group'. You will become the 'authority' figure she looks to in all social situations as you continue to bind her to that name.

Just because I'm married, don't assume I don't use game. [Image: wink.gif]

Messages In This Thread