rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Advice for an upcoming college graduate

Advice for an upcoming college graduate

Hey guys,

Relatively new to the forum. Have been reading for a while but just joined a few weeks ago. Anyway, i'll be graduating in a year, starting senior year at my college in august and graduate in may. I'll be getting a double major in spanish and psychology but to be honest i don't want to do anything really with those majors. Due to the debt I have accumulated, probably around 80k when i graduate, and because i go to a military college, I've been cocnsidering joining the USMC as an officer, doing that for 3-4 years and perhaps getting language training through them (already speak portuguese and spanish pretty fluently), so I thought that would be like killing two birds with one stone.

Also, if i do the military route, i'll get the g.i. bill after i get out, and my dad has told me he would help pay off my debt after college. After the military if I do that route, I plan on getting my MBA due to practically free tuition in california state schools where I live because my father was in the military for 20 years. After the MBA, i could either do one of two things: typical 9-5 working at a good consulting firm like my dad and just get really good at that and be successful, or try and form my own start up.

Basically, my question is, if I'm primarily and almost solely interested in money rather than location-independence, is the start-up really all it's cracked up to be money wise? With a good consulting job at a tier one firm I just don't see how the start-up could compare in 99% of scenarios.

Anyone with insight into this matter who could help me figure out where I am better off please respond. I currently don't really have any skills except for the fact that I am bilingual, so i thought of being an interpreter after i graduate for a few years, but then it would probably be best to join the military and do that with them.

Right now I'm currently in the process of writing e-books (erotica) and selling them on amazon. I've made a few sales thus far with only two books, and believe I can get it to take off to make at least a couple hundred a month. Should I continue with this and try to get into affiliate marketing (I've heard amazon is relatively easy to make a few thousand a month) or just keep trying to grow my e books?

Again, my number one priority is money, and here are my goals, but even as far as the summer and in regard to everything that is preached on this site about spending most of your time on one goal, I'm confused where I should invest my time. Would i be better off increasing my fluency in spanish, or creating a website, youtube channel, blog, reading a bunch of books on business? I just have read a lot about the 10k rule and at this point in my life I really only want to focus and hone in one one maybe maximum two things and reach mastery in those skills so as to reap the most amount of reward from them monetarily, starting with my time home during the summer. Basically my question is at this point in my life in order to best use my time and in order to achieve the kind of goal i want, purely monetary income, where am I best investing all or nearly all of my time, and what one thing is this/could this be based on what I've said?

Most likely, given that my father worked at Mckinsey for a few years, and my fairly high cumulative gpa upon graduation, I am fairly confident with his connections and my grades I could get a job at a tier two consulting firm (Deloitte..etc.); although I doubt this is the best corporate job to leave me with time to work on generating passive income.

I too have been inspired by reading all the threads on Asia and have interest in living there (Japan).

Goals
List of All goals-Theodore R. Anderson (order impertinent)

increase Fluency in Spanish (self-improvement, fun , skill).
increase Fluency in Portuguese (self-improvement, fun , skill).
Update style/wardrobe (self-improvement)
Start business and make a million dollars(5, 10 million,25, 50 million,75, 100 million)? vs. consulting firm like bcg or mckinsey
Get an MBA at california school (working toward career)
Graduate from VMI Double Major (may 2015)
200 lbs, 12-13% body fat (self-improvement)
Dating abundance/getting girls I want (self-improvement)
USMC 3-4 Years? (potential job)
Interpreter? (potential job)
Read books (on business etc/fiction for relaxation/self-improvement)?
Write/blog/journal/website? (making money)
.Youtube channel? (starting a business)?
.Meditation (self-improvement)
Lucid Dreaming (fun)
Macroeconomics/Astronomy (summer classes) 10+ hours a week commitment )
Lifeguarding for summer (commitment) 40+ hours a week
Tutoring Spanish for summer (commitment) whenever
Surfing/hiking (fun)
Focus enhancing drugs (coffee, modafinil, etc.) (want to gain more focus, energy).
After MBA, consulting firm or start-up business (money, business)
Pay off college loans (getting rid of debt)
Live in a city of 1 million + people (social goal)
Get ebooks to take off or look into affiliate marketing (making passive income)
Travel the world (especially South America). (fun, cultural exploration)

Thanks, guys. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

-Theo

Messages In This Thread