rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Australia general advice

Australia general advice

Quote: (06-11-2014 06:56 AM)Que enspastic Wrote:  

^ The Lion is low quality. Anything above a 5 there is a surprise.

Melbourne is very strict on dudes. You will be KB'd at many places unless you wear a long sleeved shirt with nice shoes and/or have girls with you. Always bring ID. If you don't have girls, do not attempt to enter by yourself nor with 2 or more friends. Always go with one mate.

Melbourne Central Lion Hotel is what it's called and I don't know why that even rates a mention here, it's rubbish as a club and below average as a pub.

+1 to Baroq being attention whore central. The pretentiousness and entitlement factor is off the charts too. Last (and only) time I went, I was dressed to the nines and doubt I still would've gotten in were I not accompanied by 2 somewhat attractive female friends dolled up and showing lots of skin. Even then we had to mention a guest list. Did notice the occasional makeout but my friend's brother has solid game, dresses well, is built, is a promoter, etc.
Apart from that you'll be very lucky to be given the time of day.

Unless you're here for an extended period or are invited there for an event, I'd move on.

Can concur with the club strictness thing. Having said that, here are the following places off the top of my head that I got let in solo:

Spice Market - Just below Baroq and Silk Road in terms of pretentiousness and exclusivity. Generally older clientele though a guy in his mid/late 20s won't stand out. I wore a jacket and good shoes though.

Trak Centre - Another supposedly "nice-shoes-and-arm-candy" sort of venue, I've entered solo without either of those. OK, I wore a jacket and a smart shirt, but even then that's overdoing it. Mainly pulls a considerably younger, Eastern-suburbs, privately educated crowd. One of those clubs with massive spaces and little else in substance -- it's literally a cavern inside. You'll find a DJ headlining an act every now and then.

Royal Melbourne Hotel - Attracts lots of alternative types. Much more down to earth than Baroq et al., though you'd be have to have a thing for tattoos and metalheads. Dressing up isn't mandatory.

The Night Cat - A jazz club more than a "traditional" club in that it has live music. Attracts a slightly older crowd too and talent is a bit hit and miss. Usually no cover charge.

The Prince Bandroom - Oh prince. Home to many a legendary live act, the club element draws a much more mainstream crowd. Dressing up will get you laughed at.

Tl;dr -- yes Melbourne nightspots are anal on dudes, clubs more so. But while I've heard the "if you're rocking up without chicks or another mate, don't bother" line, it's simply not always true. Maybe they just liked the look of me, I don't know.

amazoncrime I'm happy to give you a hand in a few days. I was never a huge club person so you're better off getting bar advice off me.

Messages In This Thread