rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Starting Strength Injury Advice

Starting Strength Injury Advice

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some suggestions on what route to take for a fitness predicament that has reared its head.

Background: I've been doing starting strength off and on for about a year now. More on than off, but I moved across the country, had to reset, blah dee blah. Anyways, I've been hitting it hard the past 2.5 months, going 3 times a week, religiously. I'm 5'10" and 175 lbs, and I was starting to see some nice results, especially considering I have never really been an athlete. So, I was chugging along nicely with my squat at 260, bench at 195, and DL at 300, when I started to develop some hip flexor pain. And then the shoulder pain started. (In actuality, I think they had been there for a bit, but I was ignoring it until it really became apparent.)

I feel pretty solid on the forms (I've gotten several compliments from strangers on how nice my squat looks). Someone recently noted that I'm not "locking my elbows" on bench? The shoulder pain is usually post lifting, but the hip flexor pain is while squatting.

Anyway, I've taken about a week and half off now, and the shoulder has slightly improved, but the hip is still pretty apparent (I did some light lifting today.) I'm considering going to a doctor to get it all checked out, proper.

But in the mean time, (here's where you guys come in) what else could/should I do? I do yoga once or twice a week, and I've been considering doing some cardio...but I don't really want to lose what I've worked my ass off the last 2 and a half months to gain. Should I get on the iso machines? Work more on form? Stop being a pussy and just lift anyway? And do you think it would be worth seeing a doctor? Or is it just going to be rest and stretch/pay for this MRI?

Some direction/similar experiences would be much obliged.

Thanks

Messages In This Thread