rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Why Younger Guys Have it Better Than They Think

Why Younger Guys Have it Better Than They Think

Quote: (07-16-2013 07:14 PM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

Quote: (07-16-2013 07:03 PM)Samseau Wrote:  

Would Soros trade his billions to be 18 again?

I would think so. Bob Dylan in about his 60s had a song where the narrator is observing a group of young men, and he says "I'd trade places with any one of them."

It gets more interesting if you're, say, 40, and you can work the next 10 years and be wealthy but be exhausted all the time, or take it easy and enjoy yourself but face working until 70.

That's a more realistic choice.

I chose working just enough to retire somewhat early in my 50s, but the trade offs were (1) I fucked off all through my 20s and had a ball playing in bands and avoiding work (2) I only have enough to just survive, no luxuries at all.

I called up Social Security one time to calculate my benefits prediction, and it was kind of funny when the clerk was looking at my records and asked "You only worked about ten years?" Haha. Yes, that was exactly the point.

This always triggers a barrage of "Oh, don't you wish you had more money?". Yes, I'm sure. But I've told the story of the hospice nurse, who in all of her encounters with dying men said ALL of them --ALL-- said they thought they had worked too much. You can never get one minute back from the Machine.

I plan on going back to work if I feel like it when I am really getting old and don't want to travel anymore. I advocate "giving them the shitty years"; after all you don't KNOW you're going to get them at all. I did make sure to get a professional license that doesn't go obsolete, so I will always be able to get pretty good paying work.

People worry about being 70 and broke, they never think they can die at 62-- many people do, or become disabled-- ESPECIALLY if they smoke cigarettes. Cancer, stroke, and COPD city. I had a patient who was 45 and looked 70 from smoking-- he had COPD; and wasn't getting enough oxygen. There is no real treatment.

I did a similar thing but arranged it so I could work freelance on things that I wanted, not corporate crap.

Have you considered taking some of your savings and carefully investing it in dividend-paying stocks? That way you get a salary without having to work. Savings accounts aren't paying anything these days. I know of several low-risk mutual funds with a high interest rate. If the Dow pulls back, it will be a good time to get in.

By the way, this is the kind of thing I'm interested in now, and exactly the kind of talk that bores any woman younger than 40 -- and some older. THIS in a nutshell, is the problem with gaming over 40. Your thoughts change. The conversations in your head are different. When I was 24 I remember having a long convo with a girl about which color pantyhouse guys liked -- white, black or skin-colored. These were my thoughts then.

Messages In This Thread