rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Location Independence: is sales perfect?

Location Independence: is sales perfect?

Wow Hooligan really broke it down. I've been in sales for three years now and he's completely spot on, if you want to create location independent cash flow a career in sales may not be the best fit for you.

The whole selling process is 90% face to face ground/legwork: from prospecting to converting leads into client' to managing the after-sales care ;and ensuring continuous billing and up-selling clients into higher service tiers or additional features. You need to be physically present in your territory and work your ass off in order to meet your quotas and exceed them.

That said, specialized sales is the only non-STEM profession I know that is both recession and out-sourcing "proof", where high performers are always in demand and have greater leeway in setting their own salary/commission. As you rightly pointed out, sales is something that 95% of the population doesn't want to do and is scared of -which means that any man wanting to succeed in today's business world should really acquire this skill set. A lot of the myths about sales kinda remind me of the whole red-pill/blue-pill disconnect most people have with the information and skills exposed and taught by the manosphere.

Hooligans post has provided some amazing guidelines in regards to how you may want to approach getting into this profession if you are interested, to which I would just add some resources on how to acquire the actual sales skills and strategies that you would need to be competitive in this market.

I've found the following resources helpful when it came to building my own salesmanship:

-The Sales Bible by Jeffrey Gitomer: awesome and easy to read primer that takes you through the mindset and systematic approach of successful salesmen. The book touches on everything from cold calling to networking with decision makers. A no BS, high integrity approach to sales.

-SPIN Selling by Neil Rackham: another great book based on selling with integrity through building trusted relationships with prospects and clients, definitely recommended to anybody practicing or interested in getting into sales and complements Jeffrey Gitomers work nicely.

-Ilovemarketing(dot com): From what you have written it looks like you are interested in being an entrepreneur, this site will help you leverage your newly found sales skills by using education based marketing (EBM). To me the whole EBM approach is really the next step in high integrity/relationship building sales just like the Red Pill/Lifestyle game approach is the evolution of the original PUA idea. If your are developing an entire territory by yourself, especially for complex goods and services, direct personal selling will only get you so far, why not create a system that educates the market (creates attraction); sets you up as an expert (creates values, comfort and rapport) and leverages "hot" leads for you to escalate into a sale (notch). Go through the (free) podcasts and the report and see if it makes sense to you.

I know this post is getting super long but before I wrap up, look at getting into technical sales. This board always gives great advise to its members on learning and cultivating hard technical skill (e.g. plumbing or coding) to earn more money and secure your career, why not combine this with sales?

If you have a STEM qualification or are looking at getting one and are looking at practicing sales in a relevant market (Technology or Industry) why not combine them to get a leg up on the competition?

As a sales professional you need to know your product inside out and must be able to advise prospects/clients on how it fits into their organization and saves or makes them more money. I've seen so many newbies burn themselves out of sales and run away in frustration because they did not understand the benefits and limitations of the technical goods or services they were selling.

There are many opportunities for people who can have a no BS conversation with Engineers and Technicians about their product and service offering without having to hide behind the marketing literature and can turn around to explain to the Financial people why they will save money by buying from them.

Most hardcore technical people can't sell or interact with non-techies in a commercial situation at all and most sales people have no clue what it is they are actually selling and how it delivers value to the customer -combine both and the world is yours for the taking [Image: wink.gif]

Hope that helps...

Messages In This Thread