rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Is it Really Our Puritan Influenced Society That Bred Feminism in The US and UK?

Is it Really Our Puritan Influenced Society That Bred Feminism in The US and UK?

Quote: (10-12-2012 11:36 PM)RawGod Wrote:  

I tend to agree on a slightly broader view of this, specifically that Puritanism/Evangelicanism/Protestantism was always about crusading to eradicate evil personal behavior (usually male), and using shaming tactics. Feminists, eco-nazis and the like are the spiritual descendants of those who wanted to ban shopping on Sundays, bare ankles, playing cards, drinking alcohol etc. While recent generations have rejected the trappings of religion, they perpetuate the same sick culture of passive aggressive shaming and a concealed desire to control.

Good evidence for this is the fact that Europe countries which had the strongest Evangelical culture in the 19thC are precisely the ones with the strongest feminist culture now - England, Sweden, Denmark. After that comes the other Protestant countries (e.g. Germany), with Catholic nations bringing up the rear. Of course the USA fits into the spectrum with the strongest Evangelical influence, although the religious picture is complicated.

[Image: mindblown.gif]

Learn something new every day. I didn't know Scandinavia used to be evangelical, this explains why Catholic southern and eastern europe aren't feminist. The only exception to this is Catholic France, but that might be explained by their revolution.

Evangelicalism and specifically Pentecostalism is supposedly becoming more and more popular in Brazil. Could this be one of the reasons why feminism is taking hold there?

Quote: (10-12-2012 11:41 PM)megatron Wrote:  

What other westernized nation even closely approaches a 40% church attendance rate? Most of Europe is much more secular.

Australia and the UK are both at or a little under 10%. I remember reading on another thread that not a single US state's church attendance even comes close.

Messages In This Thread