rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Selling an E-book

Selling an E-book

Quote: (10-06-2012 01:35 PM)zoom Wrote:  

The launch did not quite go as well as I expected. Ironically, I probably could have made more money longterm if I gave it away for free- I will talk about that in a bit. But I have learned so much in the process. I think that my ebook was a little too niche specific. I'm marketing towards runners. I read online that only about 13% of runners have shin splints. So essentially, I can only market towards 13% of my followers. Right now I'm writing a different ebook that I can market towards all runners.

I setup a payment system with ejunkie. This was a great decision. The ejunkie system is easy to use and has a lot of features.

I wrote a sales page, you can view it here: http://www.explosivelegs.com/the-shin-splint-bible

What I didn't realize before, is that having an e-mail list is so important. It's way better to sell something to email list than it is to sell something to a twitter list. Right now I am in the process of transferring my twitter followers into email subscribers. It's going well so far. I'm using aweber as an autoresponder.

Now if I had given this ebook away for free, then I would have a much larger email list and this would give me a lot of leverage. Unfortunately I don't think I can offer the book for free now. The people who paid for it would get mad and I would lose credibility. Some people also would not buy future products in the hope that they would also become free.

So overall, it's been a great learning experience and I have bigger plans for the future.

Yeah giving it away for free in exchange for getting them on your email list could have been a good bet as you can sell them further products / ebooks etc.

The money is in the list! You need an email list. Twitter traffic doesn't convert well into sales, when people use Twitter they are not in 'buy mode'. They use it when they're sitting on the toilet, browsing with their smart phone or on the bus for example. They aren't going to pull out their credit card and make a purchase most of the time. Trust me I have tried, conversions were terrible.

Aweber is the best for your email list, good choice. You need to give them an incentive to join, a good freebie. Just telling them to sign up for updates or a newsletter isn't enough, give them something of value. A free ebook / report / guide / software. Whatever you can offer.

I looked at your sales page. Whilst I'm not a fan of the over the top, spammy as hell, sales pages yours looks a little bland. It looks like it could just be a standard web page / blog post. It doesn't really grab your attention or force you towards the buy button.

Quote: (10-06-2012 04:44 PM)Neil Skywalker Wrote:  

Don't give up so fast. It's only been a few days. Give it some time. Anyone who sells a book hopes it with explode in the first weeks. People who sell shitloads of books from the start are usually backed by the major publishing houses who do the promotion for them. I guess this goes for known writers also.

How many book have you sold so far?

You don't need to be backed by a major publisher to sell loads from the get go. Anyone with a loyal following and an email list can do a decent amount of sales. As long as you know your followers well and give them something of real value to them you can smash it in week one.

Messages In This Thread