rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

A beginner's guide and reading list to jobhunting and networking

A beginner's guide and reading list to jobhunting and networking

Quote: (08-14-2012 08:01 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

Quote: (08-14-2012 06:27 AM)reaper23 Wrote:  

excellent thread but could have been summed up in one line my dad taught me as a child:

"its not what you know, son, its who you know"

I agree.

But it's like when players tell newbies to 'Just be yourself.'

Stuff that seems obvious to experienced people and naturals needs to be broken down and explained to some people.

This thread represents all the stuff I had to learn the hard way, and frankly it doesn't need to be that hard. If there had just been someone in my life to explain the basics of networking, I would have gone so much further so much faster.

Everything you need to know about networking I've broken down into it's smallest components on this thread or in my summaries; if it's not there it's in the recommended reading material.

Plus, some people struggle to internalise the 'Who you know' statement, they cling to blue pill methods of jobhunting - sending in resumes, prepping for job interviews, etc. The resources in this thread make this easier for those people who are better at knowing 'what' rather than 'who'.

it was a great thread, didnt mean to make you defensive. I am a natural at this stuff so it was interesting to read it systematically laid out like that...reminded me of me!

especially the submit your resume after the fact part and where the interview is a formality. I just landed a new gig, CEO, doing just the very same thing. I was brought in by someone on the board who i knew personally...everything else was a formality.

Messages In This Thread