rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

6 Figures
Figures
Quote: (07-05-2010 12:41 AM)kingkong Wrote:  

Yes, 40-50. If working hours is your concern, starting a company is a horrible idea. That's usually 60+ hours and zero vacation or sick time for a couple years, at least.

Quote:Quote:

you must be bringing value 2X to 3X that amount, why not do something on your own?

Because usually their cut of your bill rate is a fair reflection of company overhead. Even if the company has massive profits, you'd typically do better to buy a piece of the company than try to compete. Also, most career skill sets aren't really that directly applicable to entrepreneurship. If your marketable skill is mine engineering or trading, that says nothing about your ability to go start a mine engineering company or trading desk. You let other people run the business for you in the spirit of division of labor.

Most people worth high wages are valued by their organizations and enjoy their coworkers and their work. They're not generally thinking about quitting and starting their own company. The Office Space misery thing is for people making much less and stuck as cogs in the corporate machine without any autonomy.

Good points. To clarify, I would not jump into entrepreneurial activities right off the bat (5+ years later, maybe). I think that having additional income allows you to save, invest at an accelerated pace.

Also not all entrepreneurs work a crazy amount of hours, sure there is a greater sense of ownership. I think several folks posting here are living that lifestyle.

Messages In This Thread