rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

At 31, I'm dropping from 265 to 175. Tips?

At 31, I'm dropping from 265 to 175. Tips?

Just going to lay out what I'm doing so far, this will be a lengthy post. Feel free to carp all you want, as at this point nothing is going to stop me from reaching this goal...I want every last bit of help I can get.

I am now 249 - the pounds are still melting off and some people who haven't seen me in a while are all commenting on it. I've never felt so driven by something in my entire life. (It's becoming an obsession. I have hanging on my wall now a picture of me partying in 2010 at about 190 - I looked GREAT and had no idea, and if this is when my diet was terrible...the sky's the limit. Underneath it, in Roman numerals, is the exact mid-March date I decided to finally do this.)

For food, I am not really watching what I eat *that* much, I'm just eating far less of what I'm eating. (I'll allow myself maybe one bad meal a week if I'm eating out, and I do put light unsugared cream in my coffee. I don't drink soda all that often other than club soda - but I drink diet sodas often enough where it's something I want to stop. I hardly ever drink anyway, and I've so far replaced beer with gin seltzers. When I hit the 230 milestone and start lifting, I want to begin keeping a food diary and getting very serious about what's in it. At some point the honeymoon period will be over, and there will be far less excess fat to burn.)

On days I'm not fasting, I'll usually have a breakfast that's a bowl of steel cut oats/buckwheat/cracked wheat & flax seeds, a serving of yogurt and hard boiled eggs. I'll for lunch have a few snacks spread out - usually tuna, almonds/walnuts/pecans, and whole wheat crackers. Dinner is some pot roast & vegetables reheated in the oven with spices - sometimes it's a serving out of a large batch of casserole or chili I made. If I'm desperate, something out of a can - trying to avoid frozen pizza and takeout like the plague.

On days I'm fasting (maybe three days a week), I'll just eat the top two meals and skip dinner.

For the gym, I'm still not touching weights quite yet - I don't know why 230 is becoming my magic number, but I want to reach that before I start lifting weights and (presumably) confusing myself by gaining muscle and not knowing what to see when I step on the scale.

I am going three days a week for now. Two days of aggressive swimming (laps followed by treading water for 15 minutes, or sometimes I just hop in the pool and tread water for thirty minutes straight). The third day is usually about 15-20 aggressive minutes on a rowing machine, as I hate running/jogging and am too fat right now to get comfortable in a cycling class that's mostly attractive women. (That will probably be what I do in the fall to mix it up.)

I am ordering a push-up bar off of Amazon, as I want to at least do some light body-weight strength training before I hit 230. This will be a comfortable way to give my fat ass no excuses to skimp on form.

That's it for now. I'll probably be at 230 in early to mid-May at this rate, and then I'll see what the summer brings. What suggestions would everyone have so I can maximize my results?

EDIT: Just need to add this - this is turning into the greatest month of my entire life. I'm in a constant good mood and women are noticing. When I achieve this I'll feel like I can literally do ANYTHING if I just work hard enough and have a consistent dedication to it.

Messages In This Thread