rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

My father has a gambling issue

My father has a gambling issue

My father has a gambling addiction.

He is married to my mother for over 30 years now. My mom is employed and earns a lot of money, whereas my father is unemployed for 6+ years. He is 63 and will be a pensioner soon.

He has a very substantial amount of money in gambling losses and debt (!) which will be covered via loans, basically from my mother (!). He claims he will pay this money back. I know it sounds like a soap opera story, but unfortunately its not.

How do I ensure he doesn't fall into gambling debt (credit) again?

- He says he's not playing again, but he said so in the past before.

- He declines to start seeing a psychologist, thinks he's got it under control and doesn't have a problem. He is embarrassed to talk about this and his ego kicks in and doesn't want to admit it.

- He lashed out at my mom because she told me of his debts.

- He doesn't accept he has a problem, and he told me he is never playing again, and that's it. He told me he was contemplating suicide (!!) last week. I told him his debt is too little to think of shit like that.

What can I do to prevent my father from gambling in the future, especially on credit (=money he doesn't have) ? Unfortunately where I live I cannot just get him banned. Its largely unregulated and credit is given to him by various bookmakers on a 'good-faith' basis (they know he always goes back end of month and pays his debt).

He is adamant that he doesn't need help, he will never play again, and he does not accept visiting a psychologist or me going with him to the betting shop to talk to the guys there. He claims its his money and he will spend it as he pleases.

Messages In This Thread