rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Tennis Thread

The Tennis Thread

Quote: (09-07-2017 03:46 PM)Kaizen Wrote:  

DelPo might be getting his 2nd us open title this weekend.

Looked impressive in his Fed/Thiem wins.
Maybe in 2019 Juan Martin Del Potro may win a Grand Slam. I hope Del Potro proves me wrong by winning the 2018 US Open final against Novak Djokovic.

I'm not surprised at all that Novak Djokovic made the US Open final. Although it's unfortunate what happened to Rafael Nadal. Nadal definitely pushed himself against Dominic Thiem in the quarter final & couldn't move at all against Del Potro in the semi final. I think Djokovic will win the final against Del Potro in 4 sets, tying Pete Sampras with 14 Grand Slams & then would be a 99.99999999999999999999999% lock to win his 15th Grand Slam at the Novak Djokovic Australian Open in 2019.

You have to consider that Federer, Nadal, Djokovic will have approx. 3-5 years of dominance left, especially Nadal on clay. Murray will have a tough road to reach the top 10 again after hip surgery. Remember what happened to NBA player Isaiah Thomas when he played through his hip troubles. Then there's the veterans making their last push for GS/Masters wins such as Del Potro, Cilic, Raonic, Anderson & Isner (if Isner ever wins his return games).

Here's a live under-22 ranking list (aka the 'Next Gen Rankings': https://live-tennis.eu/en/atp-ranking-under-22). Out of the young players not named Alexander Zverev, I'd guess Denis Shapovalov, Stefanos Tsitsipas, Andrey Rublev, Alex De Minaur & Felix Auger-Aliassime have the potential to reach the top 5 in 5 years.

It's more difficult to identify a transcendental young talent these days. Gone are the days of young GS winners such as 17 year olds Mats Wilander (1982 French Open), Boris Becker (1985 Wimbledon) & Michael Chang (1989 French Open), 19 year old Pete Sampras (1990 US Open) & 20 year old Marat Safin (2000 US Open), who defeated Sampras in the final 10 years after Sampras won his 1st US Open. Lleyton Hewitt's youngest to #1 & Year End #1 record (20 years, 268 days) is unlikely to be broken. Nadal had the best chance for youngest #1 from June 6, 2005 to February 26, 2007 but he had to play prime Federer outside of clay.

I only have a brief opinion about the women's final. I'll be surprised if Serena Williams doesn't get her 24th Grand Slam & 7th US Open against Naomi Osaka.

Messages In This Thread