rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

ned flanders gym progress thread

ned flanders gym progress thread

How tall are you?

How fussed are you about absolute body weight, vs relative strength-to-weight? E.g. are you dead set on 2*BW and 1*BW at 200lbs, or would you be fine with the same ratios but at 80kg BW? Depending on height, you might be better off ripped with insane strength-to-weight at 70kg to 85kg, than fat and strong with shit strength-to-weight at 90kg to 100kg. OTOH maybe you wanna get jacked.

If you literally only care about 1*BW OHP and 2*BW squat (and maybe being above a certain bodyweight), with longer term goal about HSPU, then I'd say replace OHP with HSPU as your main press -- the transfer from HSPU to OHP is greater than vice versa, and you'll be working directly on your longer-term, more fundamental goal. No way you're gonna be weak overhead if you have HSPU's for reps. Maybe throw in some chin-ups, pull-ups, Gironda pull-ups for conjugacy and back activation, which helps with OHP. Maybe some of Sommer's handstand wall runs and those wall press-up to handstand things he used to talk about.

I could do (belly to wall with hands no more than 6 inches from the wall; never nailed freestanding handstands) HSPU's for like 10 reps when I was in my teens at about 70kg, but never trained OHP and probably couldn't have done more than 45kg or 50kg for a single. But I probably could have trained up to 55kg in a few weeks learning the movement.

If you went all-out for 7 months just aiming for 2*BW squat and 1*BW OHP, and would settle for 70kg BW (if feasible for height), that'd definitely be achievable. Depends how much you care about mass.

Good shit in other threads about Gymnastic Bodies etc btw.

Messages In This Thread