rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How can I work out around a shoulder injury?

How can I work out around a shoulder injury?

Quote: (02-16-2018 12:01 PM)S3K2 Wrote:  

Assuming its a major injury you don't. You skip the gym until it heals. In the mean time, diet your ass off. Your body comes first.
Common idea,but its wrong when we are talking tendon injuries. Movement and blood flow can actually speed up the recovery time,and prevent long term range of motion problems. You just have to be smart about it,know what you're doing,and be in touch with your body. Even if its just cardio that blood flow makes a difference. I think people think "well i might as well sit on my ass and do nothing" because they forget that movement is medicine for the body (especially in our sedentary world). Even if you are limited to power walking its still worth it.

Also don't forget shoulders have a tendency to "lock up" as a safety mechanism when injured so if you haven't done strengthing and stretching post injury that can lead to bad things long term.

If someone has never played a sport in their life and gets injured that's one thing but if you've been an athlete in some way your whole life that changes things. I'll admit its a sensitive subject because most people don't try to develop that 'mind muscle connection' and become in tune with their bodies so it makes it easy to get injured if you just jump right in and do what you did before.

I remember when i was working on straight arm planche leans heavy i could FEEL the bicep tendon being damaged,and it would sting. I was to aggressive with the stress I put on that tendon,but I got away with it because i did the most gay exercise anyone could think of....100 rep low resistance band curls just to get the nutrients delivered to that tendon to let it heal. I had a debilating shoulder injury that was likely a slap tear and did 10lbs dumbbell bench for the same reason.
To be dedicated and consistent with that kind of stuff is way harder than deadlifts because its embarrassing in public,and is no fun but its pretty damn effective. It takes a different kind of strength to not give up on training for good.

Even if you are just working 1 side of the body you should do so because it will help maintain strength in the adjacent side of the body. Obviously don't try to make strength gains and cause imbalance but if you do just enough to maintain it will be worth it.

Messages In This Thread