rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

I Hate Sales

I Hate Sales

Quote: (11-22-2017 01:47 PM)Thrill Jackson Wrote:  

Does tech sales fall under the category of " too good to be true"? I read on wall street playboys you can make 100k in 3 years. How realistic is it to be that successful that fast in tech sales?

You can, however, it's a lot trickier than you think to get into that position to land deals and income like that.

Startups are the easiest places to break in. However, the first few customers aren't buying the product because they like it. They're buying it because they have a good friendship with the founders or key employees.

Once those first costumers have been established, a startup then tries to woo a big fortune 1000 client. Once they have that client, it gets easier to make deals like that.

Next, your tech business should be spending money on some form of inbound marketing either with ads, tradeshows, or what have you. If they're saying, "cold call" walk away (unless you have contacts who will be willing to buy a product because they like you, not because they like the product).

If you want to break into tech sales, make sure you first and foremost understand and appreciate the product you're selling. If you don't care or don't like it, you won't sell. IT professionals hate salesmen that don't appreciate or understand the technology.

I've moved onto business development with a friend of mine who has a lot of connections at the big consultants, system integrators, cloud service providers, and boutiques.

This has been significantly easier to do for a myriad of reasons. It's almost like getting a store to stock your product for you. However, the "customers" who are buying your goods are typically clueless upper level and C level executives who pay oodles of money out to cover their asses in case technology doesn't work. You get a product in with these guys and they'll push your product into corporations left and right. Each time, I get money.

Start doing regular sales and see what you like. Research the product and go in for an interview.

Messages In This Thread