rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How do you deal with depression and isolation?

How do you deal with depression and isolation?

Quote: (04-22-2017 01:06 PM)Rhyme or Reason Wrote:  

First question: Are you on medication for manic depression? (bi-polar)

I'm an INTP, so quite similar in personality types, except for I lean more in the Perception direction than Judgement.

The proliferation of the Myeres Briggs Type Indicator seems to have led people to believe that there are "good" personality types and "bad" personality types. It's far from the truth. The MBTI test is meant to help you identify what stimulates you, and what turns you off. What environments you thrive in, and which you don't. It's a tool to be used for your benefit, not to condemn you to a life of depression. It's also to show you that you have a basic personality type that you can't really change. However, you can engage in activities which are compatible with your personality type, and in turn, maximize your happiness and success.

Quote:Quote:

I've tried diligently to change this with some degree of success in the past.

Why? You seem to be operating under the false assumption that if you "change" your personality to be more extraverted that you will be happier. The reverse is true.

Here's the definition of Introversion according to MBTI:

Quote:Quote:

Introversion (I): People who prefer Introversion tend to direct their energy toward their inner world and get energized by reflecting on their
ideas and experiences.

I bolded the above to illustrate that being an introvert is not necessarily inconsistent with being social. I am classified as an introvert and enjoy social interaction, particularly on a one-on-one basis. I suspect that you may be this way as well.

Introverts like to be alone. This is how we re-energize. However, social interaction is still vital to combat depression and alleviate feelings of isolation, which causes depression.

On the other hand, an extrovert gets their energy from being around others. It doesn't necessarily mean they have better social skills.

It all comes down to energy.

Extraverts like to give speeches. Run for office. Be the center of attention. And that's what gives them energy. As an introvert, these activities would exhaust you/ us. It doesn't mean you wouldn't be good at it, but it would be tiresome.

Don't try to be an extravert if you aren't one. As an introvert, you respond positively to a different set of stimuli than an extravert. So don't concern yourself with all these other people and what they're doing.

I can tell you that the times I've felt isolated and depressed, and tried to go the extravert route and socialize as a way to get more energized, it had the opposite effect, and I was more miserable. When I embraced the introvert side of myself and recharged my batteries that way, it always had a positive affect. Unlike my extravert friends, who like to go out and socialize when they're depressed as a therapy method, I always found that to be unfulfilling.

Instead I like to take an honest look in the mirror and self diagnose, start from scratch, and re-align my priorities.

You hit the nail on the head brother. That describes me to a T. I'm constantly brooding over my never ending labyrinth of thoughts and emotions.

I dont want to be an extrovert per se and you are correct. I can go i nto performance mode and do great. The problem is that it's very taxing to me mentally. When I first learned game...the pay off was there to behave like a dancing monkey. It was all new to me and picking up some road worn skank at the bar just from behaving like a total obnoxious douche bag was great fun.

Now I can't even be bothered to say hi to the same girls. Fuck I don't want to become like Scrooge but should I just embrace the fact that Im an uncaring asshole who is anti social?

Messages In This Thread