rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Airline booking trick for South American flights

Airline booking trick for South American flights

Intra-south american flights are surprisingly expensive. From Colombia to Brazil I paid almost $700, triple what I paid from Washington D.C. to Bogota.

I found out that when you go searching on an site like kayak.com, it will give you a series of flights using the same airline (or one of its partners). But because South America has so many different airlines that don't serve many cities, you get these inflated prices with out of the way connections.

The trick...

Step 1. Identify the hubs of the country you're in. I want to book a flight from Sao Paulo to Cordoba. I found a Gol Airlines flight for $380 with a layover in some weird city. Can I do better?

Step 2. I know Porta Alegre is a major Brazilian hub for Argentina/Uruguay. So I searched for flights from there to Cordoba and found one for $190 from Gol. Not bad.

Step 3. Now I could take a bus from Sao Paulo to P.A. for I'm guessing $80, but it's about 20-24 hours. Went searching again and found a flight instead from TAM airlines for $120. TAM is not partnered with Gol, and doesn't provide flights to Cordoba so they didn't come up in my original searches.

Step 4. Book them! I have two separate flights with four hours of layover in between. $70 saved for 10 minutes of work.

If I had trouble on the Argentine side I'd look at flights to Buenos Aires, and then another to Cordoba.

In the United States NYC is a major hub. If I find huge savings there, I would take the 5 hour Chinabus from DC at a cost of 20 bucks.

Messages In This Thread