rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Hostel Data Sheet

Hostel Data Sheet

Quote: (02-22-2017 02:13 AM)DigitalNomad Wrote:  

Quote: (02-21-2017 02:20 PM)StackGsMan Wrote:  

Repped for this awesome information, most of which I didn't know.

Can you give us some more information on how the process of getting a job for free accommodation and food works at some of these hostels?

Have you used a Hostel in Reykjavik and if so would you mind sharing?

When you do get a hostel job, what do the hours look like? I would imagine it would kind of suck to have to work the shift every night when people are normally out at bars/clubs.

If you get employment at a hostel, do you have to speak the native language or is English enough?

Answers to those questions would be greatly appreciated as chances are if I can get a good deal at a hostel in a city I'm interested in I might take a trip this summer, or else I'll end up waiting a year or so.

The process for getting a job basically consists of asking and talking to current employees. It's a pretty high turnover position so they are normally looking, especially if you come staff recommended.

English was enough at my hostel in Greece but it's dependent on where you are and the demographics of the Hostel for sure.

Hours are dependent on the Hostel as well. I worked basically all night every night but sex breaks made it alright. The guys I met at loki alternate between day shifts and night shifts.

Reykjavík can't help, I stayed at an airbnb. There's a hostel with a rooftop bar that does a good pub crawl though.

Great info, thanks. Today was the first day I ever gave the Greek Islands any serious thought even though a friend of mine is Greek and always talks about them. I've been reading all day and it looks like I might just have to take a trip to the Pink Palace in Corfu in June or July. I wouldn't want to work through the night though, so I might just pay ($20 a night isn't bad).

I don't mean to derail this thread, but can you give some details on your time in Corfu? I'm having a little trouble deciding which of the islands to go to, but so far Corfu looks like it has it all.

Messages In This Thread