rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Santiago, Chile Data Sheet

Santiago, Chile Data Sheet

Quote: (01-26-2012 11:41 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

@Gringochileno, what's your overall opinion on life and living in Santiago since you actually live there long term. I admit I was not impressed upon first site taking the taxi into town from the airport. But it actually grew on me and by the time I left, I really liked it. Could be because I knew locals and they showed me a good time and took me around and what not. Or it might have been been because this was the first major Latin American city I'd ever been to so there was just the novelty of visiting a new continent that got to me. I wouldn't mind at all spending maybe 4 months hanging out between Vina del Mar and Santiago. I like that it has a good metro system, cheap taxis, is safe, it's dense and urban and has the weather and geography of Southern California. People complain about the food, but I went to some pretty good restaurants and was satisfied. I never touched one of these "completos" everyone is always talking about. Anthony Bourdain did a show in Santiago and found some great eats.

I had a blast living in Santiago. Like you, it took me a little while to get my feet wet and the place definitely grew on me as I stayed there longer, especially since I got there in the dead of winter and the weather improved the whole time I stayed there.

I think you're spot-on about getting to know locals too. I was fortunate enough to meet some really awesome guys very early in my stay that are now some of my best friends, and they were great for helping me get acquainted with the city (which can be hard to do since there are so many distinct areas) and shortening my learning curve with the Chilean Spanish accent. Chilean dudes are some of the funniest motherfuckers you'll ever meet and they're usually excited to meet gringos that have taken an interest in their culture.

Another thing that makes Santiago particularly endearing to me is that I discovered game shortly after I moved down there. I pretty much cut my cold-approach teeth going out 4 nights a week and spitting game at Chilenas and I have fond memories of the experience. It's probably why I find them so easy to swoop nowadays.

The metro and bus systems are a big plus, I agree. Santiago is one of the easiest cities to get around without a car that I've been to. In terms of safety it really doesn't feel like a Latin American city at all--I actually feel safer walking around Santiago at night than I would most US cities. I'm a big skier too so having both that and the beach nearby is also huge for me.

Overall the livability of that place is excellent and I would absolutely go back there to stay for an extended period of time, although I definitely agree that it takes a little bit of adjustment before you're really able to take advantage of everything the city has to offer. Maybe that's why some people tend to have bad experiences when they're just passing through.

(Chilean food is so misunderstood, by the way. Completos are garbage--I'm all about choripan, empanadas, pollo asado, and as queso. The Peruvian restaurants around Plaza de Armas are money too.)

Messages In This Thread