rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Bodyweight Workout Thread

The Bodyweight Workout Thread

Quote: (01-15-2017 09:59 PM)Jean Valjean Wrote:  

I'm doing the New Blood program, and finding that vertical pulls are too easy but horizontal pulls are too hard. I'm unable to do a rep. I've tried different heights of the bar and can't do it. Last time, I even hurt my lower back trying.

Can anyone suggest an exercise that's somewhere between vertical and horizontal pulls in difficulty? Thanks.

Are you trying to row from regular barbell placed on a rack? Or using some sort of hanging equipment like rings, TRX?

Instead of changing bar height, you could switch up foot placement.

If you're hands and shoulders are in a vertical line with whatever you're pulling from, that's way harder than if you place your feet a bit in front of your pulling station (this way your body should be more vertical to the ground). The further back you can walk, the easier it gets.

It's the same principle as a wall pushup versus regular pushup.

You could also experiment with bending your legs, if you aren't doing that already (straight legs make the exercise harder).

Another reason could be your pulling technique - arms too wide open, pulling with the biceps rather than lat first and biceps at the end, or gripping the bar too close to your shoulder at the top position (which would make for almost a reverse grip curl).

I really like this guy, check out his website and YouTube channel - quality information on rowing and BW training in general:
http://www.vahvafitness.com/how-to-do-inverted-rows/

Messages In This Thread