rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Carnaval in Rio.... worth it?

Carnaval in Rio.... worth it?

I travel frequently to Brasil for both business and vacation/fun and I was in Rio for the 2009 Carnaval and it was a total blast, one of the best vacations I've had. The Rio Carnaval, specially the Samba Schools parade at the Sambodromo is one of those events that everyone must experience at least once in their lifetime. I was left speechless by the sheer beauty, creativity and the communion between the participants and the people in the stands watching the parade. I love samba and follow religiously the Rio Samba Parades each year on tv so for me, it was a total no brainer. Plus the daily street parties and street parades all over town was a blast too.

However, one thing i'd like to warn people in here about Carnaval, is that you better have your accommodation reserved ahead of time if you want to have a decent place without breaking the bank. During Carnaval, the cost of everything is multiplied 3 if not more. Hotel rooms go through the roof. I stayed at the Rio Othon Palace, right on Avenida Atlantica, which is an ok 4 star hotel which during Carnaval, was charging insane prices: US$1000 per night for a deluxe ocean front suite. I was lucky that I was able to book the entire week of Carnaval there in a very nice suite, on the 21st floor, facing the ocean, for $650 for the entire week of carnaval thanks to my travel business. I invited a Brasilian buddy of mine to join me and I also met a very cool American guy there and a Carioca and all 3-4 of us had a blast there. But the highlight of the trip for me was the Samba School parade. Freaking unbelievable. The biggest show and the greatest party on Earth. I truly believe it's a must for everyone to experience the Rio Carnaval and the Rio Samba Schools Parade. You will be left speechless in front of the sheer beauty. Even the last placed school in the Rio Parade would totally dwarf the top 2-3 Broadway shows. No kidding!

So all in all, Rio during Carnaval is well worth it. But it's not cheap. However, it's well worth every single centavo and more! But make sure you settle your accommodations as soon as possible if you don't want to pay an arm and a leg for it.

Any questions about the Rio Carnaval, let me know and I'd be happy to assist with those.

Cheers,

Lorenzo.

Messages In This Thread