rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Drix's Spanish Language

Drix's Spanish Language

Quote: (10-24-2016 01:09 PM)ElFlaco Wrote:  

Quote: (10-24-2016 12:29 PM)Vinny Wrote:  

Wanted to ask a chick: Are you just walking (as in are you simply walking) google translate came up with - "Usted apenas esta caminando?"

You've discovered that Google Translate does not work for conversational language. My advice: stop using it. This kind of 'social' language is best learned by watching telenovelas -- the closest you can often get to observing authentic conversation. It's time-consuming but pays off after a few months. Don't look for specific expressions. Just observe what you hear and add that to your repertoire.

By the way, APENAS is a bit hard to translate reliably, but it often works for 'just' when the context is time. (for 'just + action', use 'acabar'.) For the other meaning of 'just' (only), you'd need something else, for example, 'nada más' or 'sólo'.

Keep in mind that she might not have understood you because she is not expecting someone to express that idea. Where I live (Mexico City), it would be highly confusing for a stranger to come up and say "Just out for a walk?" (¿Dando una vuelta?) You may need to make some adjustments for the cultural context. Asking a specific pet-shop-type question may get better results.

I've often recommended the book Breaking Out of Beginner's Spanish. It's a good as reference as any for intermediate conversational Spanish. (It tends to emphasize Latin American Spanish, especially Mexican.)

Good luck with your Spanish. (Certified Spanish teacher here, C2 level 'near native', a decade of in-country living)

How difficult was getting to C1 and C2? And do you have any recommendations on what common errors (e.g. por vs para) to address in reaching the C levels?

I took classes while in Colombia up to level B2, and I've just been trying to solo the rest of the way. Now I'd like to take at least C1 certification and put it on my resume.

I can listen and read pretty well.. I think I have at least a C1 level for that. But it's all these little errors I've accumulated that show up when I'm writing and speaking that are holding me back. The errors that I know exist aren't too bad, as I can fix them. The problem is the errors I can't identify. So if you have any pro tips, it would be greatly appreciated!

Messages In This Thread