rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Bodyweight Workout Thread

The Bodyweight Workout Thread

I know it's not officially "bodyweight" excercises, per se, but I'm a big fan of traditional bodyweight excercises with weight added.

I.e. Pullups, chins, and dips with added weight hanging from your waist.

Don't start adding weight until you really have these exercises down, of course, but something about these movements just feels so much more natural to me than the lifts the usual weightlifter focuses on, like bench press, for example - or pull downs and bent over rows as compared to pullups.

I suspect that translates into better muscular development as well, but this is just my "feeling." I think I've come across research supporting the dips over the bench - you'll have to look it up on your own.

So far with squats I'm just sticking with bodyweight at the moment. I'm doing 10 sets of 5 on the pistols now (I weight 210, so this feels like a decent accomplishment to me) and thinking about picking up some dumbells when my rep counts get higher. I'll need to be careful about this because my buddy's brother blew out his knee this way. Not sure if he got his form perfected with high reps before he attempted it or not. He's in better shape than most people I know, but at the same time I could see him rushing it.

Anyone else base their routine on what we think of as bodyweight excercises with weight added? I mix it up sometimes but this is really the core of what I do.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Messages In This Thread