rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How to handle extremelely negative parents/family?

How to handle extremelely negative parents/family?

Quote: (10-08-2016 12:35 AM)Gyro Wrote:  

I'm 21 and my parents have been pushing the medical route on me since birth..recently I determined I hate school so after my bachelors I want to do tech sales and transition into entrepreneurship. Problem is that my parents keep telling me I'm an idiot, suggest stupid outcomes like I'm going to become a heroin addict (scare tactics), and tell me they're shipping me back to the Middle East. This takes a significant toll on my confidence and now I'm starting to feel uneasy/insecure to the point where I'm starting to feel depressed (despite feeling like I'm on top of the world a couple days ago).

How have you successfully dealed with shitty unsupportive family????

In a word, YES.

This post leapt out of the page at me.

My parents too tried to brainwash me into being a doctor since birth. Basically they were controlfreaks, pyschonuts. They also tried to brainwash me into classical music, talking "posh" and other shit like not letting me have pocket money to spend as I wished. I hated sciences and I hated medical programmes on TV, any of that shit. Their "fallback" choice was law, but they didn't like that at all. And once I decided I wanted business... well that was it.

I'm in England, they live a lower middle class lifestyle, with upper middle class pomposity. At the time I was in uni, parents legally had to contribute to their kids education along with grants (only very limited loans were available). As I wasn't studying medicine at 18 yrs (it starts early in England) they gave me fuck all fin support. So I wound up in huge debt. In England, things in the prestige occupations (I wanted to work in Ldon's financial centre) esp for graduate trainees are very social class orientated. It helps hugely to go to a private high school and/or have parents fix up your first job/s/internship via contacts. Now mine are very connected (friends with a former prime minister etc) but they never gave me a single leg up - such was their "outrage" that I didn't become a boring doctor (who they wanted would love classical music and talk like Prince Charles!) They also cheated me financially several times as a kid and adult when I was trying to start up in business. I don't speak with them these days. All in all, it meant getting a decent career (by my measurements) started was fucking hard. Good riddance to bad rubbish I say.

My view. Be as two faced and snide as they are. Lie thro your teeth to them. Manipulate them like they have done with you. They sound like bullies and child abusers. Doesn't the US system look at their income to decide what fin assistance you get? That means you need to "finesse" your parents or have a formal legal separation. The former would prob be easier.

Additionally, I suspect you need to reprogamme yourself. They're conditioning you to believe you are worthless outside of medicine. You've been subjected to a barrage of pyschological warfare. Try NLP, hypnosis and read a book or two on the subject.

PM me and I'll try my best if u want. Infact, I'm sure we'd both benefit.

Messages In This Thread