rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet

Quote: (07-14-2016 03:26 PM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

Quote: (06-25-2016 09:53 AM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

Quote: (06-25-2016 05:12 AM)worldwidetraveler Wrote:  

Quote: (06-24-2016 07:34 PM)Geomann180 Wrote:  

How would he be smartass or trolling you?

I don't understand how you could take it that way, from how I read it.

Seems like a humorous reply followed by a quick question (perhaps the tone from funny to serious question is a strange transition?)

G

Guys, let's stop with the silliness. This is one of the best threads on the forum and let's keep it that way.

I have been seriously thinking of hitting up Philippines to learn Eskrima/Kali. After reading this I am a little hesitant. I was under the impression the movements with sticks were suppose to translate with other weapons and even empty hands.

It this not the case? The reason I asked is because of the comments about walking around with sticks.

Cheers Guys and thanks for the in-depth comparisons.

The stick movements do translate to other weapons and empty hands.

In fact, let's breakdown what melee weapons are in general.

Melee weapons are just extensions of your own hands.

An untrained 12 year old will still swing a sword like a child. Why, not so much because he sucks at a sword, but because his hands are not fully trained to wield it.

If you ever train with Japanese swords you start off learning with the kendo stick first. Bokken swords come later. Why? A Bokken is heavier and alot closer to a real sword and will help strengthen your arms and hands. A Kendo stick is light and is for getting down the motions and technique correctly.

FMA has the same principles in mind. If you can swing a stick so quickly and smack a guy 7 times, in 7 different areas, taking away his ability to react, imagine what what you would do if you were holding a knife! That is why they can "undress" a man in under 2 seconds. They cut the sinews, the tendons, then the carotid arteries. A guy with his tendons cut, cannot use his arms to stop you.

That is why FMA is extremely deadly in wrong hands. In some way, the sticks serve a purpose for them to check your mentality before showing you all the knife stuff. I was able to skip ahead because I only had 3-4 months to learn it, I have a black belt in Japanese JuJitsu (so I know just as many dangerous things if not more), and these were private lessons in the form of a trade (I taught him BJJ, he taught me their knife and hand suite). If I had the luxury of time back then, I would have learned the sticks too. FMA is also based on Japanese Ju Jitsu. Where it differs is their striking suite, the sticks, and the advanced knife techniques. Another reason for the sticks is that it is safer to practice your rhythms with a stick than a knife. Old school knife fighters in the PI have scars all over their arms. You don't want that.

I was told this by Filipinos I know (including the guy that trained me), although I never been there to see it, that many hitmen there (like Davao Death Squad types), are dangerous like this. Allegedly they are proficient with knives and sticks due to FMA techniques. Some have guns yes for sure, but street fighting is still their base.

If you want to learn FMA, do not let the sticks deter you. If anything you probably want that knowledge. Collapsible sticks are now a reality and even Korean gangsters commonly carry them. When I learned back then, that was not really around like that. Maybe they existed but they may not have been as good as they are now. If you think about it, in some places carrying sticks is legal whereas knives are not. It's good to have options, especially if you like to travel.

If you absolutely want to learn without sticks, you could always go for Pencak Silat, but some schools still use them as well. It really seems to depends on the teacher. Some of them even use machetes or swords and you probably won't like that either. It's really not a deal breaker at all the end of the day when you really think about it.

Really deep video from these Kali/FMA guys.

The conversation they are having is really good and is some very real talk. Any skeptic of knife fighting or self defense outside of guns should watch this.

Great video!
The gentleman speaking at the end about the differences in training is a great point. Sometime people who aren't exposed to training see videos on youtube and claim the stuff is/looks fake. Almost all good instructors will train you slow and with a purpose. Doesn't matter how fast you can hit if you miss the intended target.

In regards to knife training, most of what you see on the internet is absolute garbage. Don't learn from videos. This isn't RSD/PUA here. It's life or death.

For those who've never been in a knife fight, try to keep in mind there will be A LOT of blood. Way more than you think there would be. People drop their knives/weapons and slip on the ground due to the amount of blood.

The few I've been in opened my eyes to the realities of adding knives into a fight.
I wont post on the forum but you can find knife fight videos on liveleak. Very scary stuff.

Messages In This Thread