rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Starting over at 30 - do I go for money or lifestyle?

Starting over at 30 - do I go for money or lifestyle?

Read "Early Retirement Extreme." Make your money, gtfo quick, and then pursue your lifestyle dreams while looking out for new ways to hustle.

If you take ERE principles even halfway to heart, you can walk away in a very reasonable time frame, no debt, very few bills, and enough passive income to cover your basic living costs for the rest of your life.

Making you not rich but at least financially free.

With your skills, surely you can find new ways to hustle cash after that if you want a more cush life, but you'll be able to go where you want, when you want, on your terms and won't be forced to choose between a job and freedom again. Seems worth the minimal time sacrifice to me.

Then again, you're the finance guy - who the hell am I to give you financial advice?

If you want to make it purely a lifestyle question, why the dichotomy between the finance job in a set location or...hospitality? If you can make that kind of cash confined to one place, surely it's possible to land a gig for less but still very respectable pay somewhere else, right? Maybe something a bit more interesting?

Why is this an either/or question at all? Seems to me there's a whole spectrum of other possibilities you've left out.

All that said, I'd probably go for the bankroll on a short term basis with a goal to eventually split.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Messages In This Thread