rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The case for pressure cookers

The case for pressure cookers

I've been using a slow cooker for years, and this thread made me wonder if I should switch to pressure cookers. I have a couple questions if you guys wouldn't mind:

- Vegetable nutrients: I read that slow cookers are better for simmering vegetables, because the lower temperatures involved mean that a lot of the vitamins don't get broken down like they would in high heat cooking. Do pressure cookers break them down more rapidly? If not, how is that possible with the lower cooking times involved?

- Lectins, phytates: I'm not as worried about phytates since I soak overnight then rinse, which should eliminate the vast majority. As for Lectins, I tend to get beans with lower lectin content and if I get something with high content (kidney beans), I boil them for 10 minutes to break down the lectins, rinse again, then cook. Is this still not sufficient?

Also, if PCs break down lectins/phytates but not vitamins/minerals in veggies, how is possible to reconcile the two? Not trying to be a pain, I'm genuinely curious.

Messages In This Thread