rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How different is going to graduate school in the UK than in the US?

How different is going to graduate school in the UK than in the US?

Quote: (11-18-2015 07:41 AM)Feldeinsamkeit Wrote:  

Quote: (11-18-2015 05:07 AM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

Why do you want to waste money on a masters degree? Do you have a job right now or aspirations for academia?

A master's in philosophy would be wildly useless outside of academia.

At least with an undergrad you can finish it and check off the BS/BA box on HR requirements. A master's degree however is more complicated. It isn't a means to an end.

What are your long term goals?

The purpose of studying philosophy is surely to unmask the - perhaps wholly unwarranted - assumptions contained in this very statement and others like it, namely, that the study of a subject has to subserve some "use" or other.

Because a man has to eat. Can I get a master's in philosophy too?

I kid i kid, you're honestly right.

I can call up my parents and ask for free money for anything I want too. However, instead of needlessly wasting mom and dad's money on those hair brained life plans of ones youth a little planing can make their free money go farther.

OP, instead of wasting time in higher indoctrination camp why don't you join the peace corps, volunteer, or get some work experience under your belt doing whatever. If you do the Peace Corps you can then parlay that experience into more elite institutions.

Honestly, if you want to get a degree with free money, make sure you get it from a school that is worth the free money (ie a top tier one). Don't waste it away in a 2nd tier school.

Messages In This Thread