rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The "Squat Like A Boss" clinic

The "Squat Like A Boss" clinic

Quote: (06-04-2015 09:51 AM)TheWastelander Wrote:  

I cannot squat as deep as the "ideal" squat guy in the first post so I guess I need to take more time to be able to do that with just my bodyweight before continuing weight training? I don't know. There is so much conflicting info.

You don't have to get as good as him to start weight training but you should at least be able to do about 10 reps with BW to below parallel while being perfectly balanced.

Also barbell is not everything. I'd start you with goblet squat (DB or KB) instead to help you teach yourself correct squat form.

The barbell can come later.

Quote: (06-04-2015 01:56 PM)Aenigmarius Wrote:  

Thanks for this thread, but specifically for this video. I'm completely new to squats, just started doing them at the gym. I was basically doing what Clarence Bass is doing and it was working for me.

But then I got a couple of comments about not letting my knees go over my toes from some of the more experienced guys who at least seem to know what they are talking about. Trying to change up my form was difficult, and I felt like I was going to screw up my back.

But watching Bass, I feel a whole lot more confident about doing it my way.

I hate the knees over the toes police as much as Jim Wendler hates the butt wink police (topic for another day!)

Don't let them see videos of say a WR squatter like Layne Norton (equal WR 300kg in the 93kg class):

His knees go a mile over his toes. Necessary due to the way he's built (very very long femur).

You'll see plenty in the IPF Youtube channel I posted earlier too.

Or every weightlifter in the history of the sport:

One of the best ever in the above video, with knees going way over toes, clearly has no idea what he's doing. [Image: wink.gif]

Another one from the previous era:

Or get your gym buddies to try squat down and jump as high as possible with vertical shins. Take videos for the lolz and put on youtube.

If you feel good and strong, that's what your body is telling you to listen to. When I coach people, I try to teach them to listen to their body instead of to me. There are times when the form looks perfect from the outside even to a good coach, but only the lifter can feel that it's not quite right and needs to make adjustments accordingly.

Quote: (06-04-2015 04:09 PM)TheWastelander Wrote:  

I can't, no. I fall over on my back like a turtle unless I shift my weight to the balls of my feet.

Poor ankle dorsiflexion, which is common. Stretching calves will help, but it's better if you try to spend more time in that position to learn it. I always get people to do this to improve their bodyweight squat:

Grab onto something for balance (power rack for example) and, while being relaxed, squat down slowly to the deepest position you can, wiggle around, bounce up and down etc. Over days and weeks, ease yourself to deeper positions and use less support for balance. Practice that everyday, twice a day for a few minutes each, or at least during warmups and warmdowns every time you're at the gym. You'll improve massively after a few weeks.

Messages In This Thread